Cipaille (Sea Pie) an old French Recipe from Quebec!

Gary S

TVWBB Guru
IMG_1228.jpg

This is the ultimate in meat pie comfort food with a biscuit type crust
For this recipe you will need a 7 qt. Dutch oven, a great way to break in my new Lodge. Wild game is ideal; use at least three meats including fowl/poultry. I do not have game and so I used beef, pork and turkey. This recipe will feed 12-15 people. You can reduce this to 1lb portions of meat using a 5 qt. Dutch oven as well.

2lb of lean beef (stewing beef is fine)
2lb of lean pork (I used a tenderloin)
2lb of poultry (I used boneless turkey breast)
1/4 lb. salt pork, thinly sliced (optional)
2 large cooking onions
4 stalks of celery (optional)
1 cup of stock
Salt and Pepper to taste (I used seasoning salt)
Pastry for double pie crust

Cut meat into 1 inch cubes and place in a large bowl or container. Season to your taste, combine with onions and celery; cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours or overnight. You might think you need to add more seasonings but really you don’t.

Arrange salt pork evenly in the bottom of your D/O and layer with 1/2 of the meat mixture.

Make pastry. Combine 3 cups flour, 2 tbsp. baking powder, 1/3 cup lard, 2 eggs mixed with 1-1/2 cups of milk; mix thoroughly.

Roll out half of the pastry slightly thicker than for a normal pie crust and arrange, cutting a small hole in the center. Repeat with another layer of meat. Cover with remaining pastry, cutting a small hole in the center. Slowly add enough chicken stock through the hole until liquid appears. Cover and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 45 minutes or until liquid simmers. Reduce temperature to 250 and bake, covered, for about 5 more hours or until the top crust is a rich golden colour. Smaller amounts will reduce the cooking time.

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1231.jpg

Hope you enjoy

Back