Grill Roasted Chicken

DaleW

TVWBB Pro
With biscuits and green beans. And with two boys, 20 and 22, still living at home, two birds were necessary. Decided to put one in a cute Weber roasting rack I got a few weeks ago and shove a beer can up the other one's butt.
imagehiv.jpg

Does anyone know why ImageShack randomly rotates some files?

Anyway, the chicken was seasoned with Kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, and garlic herb powder.
imageulh.jpg

Then placed on the grill. Had to bend the corner of the aluminum pan a little to get the lid on my 26.75 and make sure both birds were on the indirect zone. Added some pecan for smoke.
imagenrx.jpg

About halfway there. The skin started to get dark, so I put a foil shield on the coal side to prevent burning.
imagenia.jpg

The beer can chicken is done, but the one in the roasting rack needs a little longer.
imagewges.jpg

While the second bird is finishing, added the biscuits to the kettle. I couldn't convince Lauren to make her excellent biscuits from scratch, so these are just frozen.
imagewmxf.jpg

Both birds are now done.
imagecoto.jpg

And the biscuits are done.
imageiwh.jpg

Chicken carved. What a mess fitting two carved birds on a platter. Gotta work on my presentation skills ....
imagestg.jpg

Plated with Lauren's green beans she learned to make from my Tennessee mom. Let's just say pork fat and long simmering is involved. Plus a nice California Pinot noir.
imageseic.jpg

Everyone enjoy your Sunday, and I hope your team wins!

Great looking food Dale!!! I bet it was delicious. My question is what do you mean by
"I put a foil shield on the coal side to prevent burning. "

I hope my cowboys win today....

It's 7:02 am here in California and my wife says that I'm bbq fanatic checking in to the forum to see what's going on...actually I was awake at 6:30 am checking in 😃

My question is what do you mean by
"I put a foil shield on the coal side to prevent burning. "

I just put a small sheet of foil tented over the portion of the bird on the charcoal side while they finished roasting. Blocking the direct heat keeps the skin from getting too dark or burning.

I just put a small sheet of foil tented over the portion of the bird on the charcoal side while they finished roasting. Blocking the direct heat keeps the skin from getting too dark or burning.

Thanks Dale...

that looks fantastic! makes me wanna roast a chicken....but we got a big storm comin , and my WSM is packed away safe in the garage !

Which chicken was better?

Really couldn't tell a difference. The pecan wood smoke definitely gave both a good, distinctive flavor. The rack is easier to deal with than the beer can, so if I'm only doing one bird in the future, I will probably do it that way. That is if I don't spatchcock.

The boys wouldn't let you have any more food than that? Great looking chicken and beans and biscuits. I want some biscuits and Kerry's cooking in the kitchen now, must be my lucky day, Honey make me some biscuits....make them yourself you lazy bugger. Oh well not getting any biscuits I guess.

Back