Attempting first ribs tomorrow - Chris Lilly Memphis Dry ribs

Laura D

TVWBB Fan
Dear Everyone - it's me, Laura. I am testing out my Smokenator tomorrow for the first time, and decided to throw some ribs on there as well (never did ribs before, first time, YEAH! Here goes!).

I am going to do Chris Lilly's Memphis Dry ribs recipe. I have his wonderful BBQ book but here is the recipe online -

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/30686...ig-bob-gibsons-memphis-dry-ribs/#.UImgPmk-vI0

I am a confident griller and feel pretty saavy about temp control - we'll see because I've never used the Smokenator before and this will be one of my longer cooks.

Any advice for any contingencies? Like, do ribs stall? How long should I let them sit out before I put them in? Do they need to rest after? If things aren't going well, should I foil and stick them in the oven and if so at what temp?

I'm going to read up more here in the forum and stick my nose in my BBQ books so I'm prepared (and also have been perusing amazingribs.com). Thanks in advance for any advice!

Laura

Oh and rib rack - yay, nay? I've got two racks of ribs, they will probably fit side by side, or I could see how they do in the Weber rib rack.

Laura

I haven't used a smokenator but I assume you'll probably want to rotate the meat every hour or so whether or not you use a rib rack or lay them flat. As for the rest of your questions (foil, set out ahead of time, etc), do what you do, I'd just say to watch for the meat to pullback from the ends of the bones to make sure they're done. I'm sure they'll turn out great ;)

Laura, as Clint mentioned, pull-back of the meat so that the bone potrudes a half inch or more is the first sign that ribs are getting close to being done. Then you start checking them by picking the slab up with tongs. If they drape almost 90 degrees and you see the meat starting to tear, they're done.

If trimming the tips off for St. Louis ribs, you ought to be able to fit both slabs on since you have a Smokinater. You probably need the rib rack if cooking full spares, but leave a slot between them empty.

As long as you don't over smoke or under cook, I think you'll be pretty happy with your ribs.

Thank you both! Sounds great! I am really excited to try this!

I definitely won't over smoke and I tend to be an overcooker rather than an undercooker when I'm uncertain, but these are good tips and make sense so I bet it'll be just fine and delicious.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

Laura

I would definitely lay them flat, the rack can take your rub off when you remove the ribs. I like a little tug to my ribs so going by pullback or the bend test usually gives me overdone ribs. Grab two ribs side by side and try to pull them apart, if the meat starts to tear they are good or use a probe and poke them, there should be little resistance.

You will probably have to partially close the top vent on your kettle in order to go l&s if that's what your doing.

Bob, ENHANCED ribs are the only ribs I can ever remember cooking till tender before getting some pullback. They can be falling off the bone by pullback, and that's another reason why I don't like to cook 'em. With any rib though, as soon as I see pullback, I better be checking them or I can end up leaving bones on the grate. It IS a fairly small window.

As for Rib racks, they work just fine for me if I spray them and don't cram them with too much rib. For instance, I wouldn't think of using my Weber rib racks for full spares or big meaty back ribs. They are best for St. Louis and closer to baby back sized back ribs. I've got a couple other kinds of racks that are taller and have a little more space. My rib racks don't see hardly any use since getting the big bullet, though.

Hi Laura,
Ribs are very forgiving, so I'm sure they'll turn out great. Here are my opinions on the topic. Rack versus lay flat: really doesn't matter. If you have the grill space, lay 'em flat; one less thing to clean up. I've never seen ribs stall. Just not enough meat / moisture to cause that phenomenon. Foiling: my advice, when you like the color of the ribs, but if they're not done, just foil them and put 'em right back on the smoker / kettle. The tong bend test is fine or the tear test or just probe with your thermometer--if it goes in like butter, you're done! Oh, and one more thing: don't forget to post pictures in the photo gallery forum!! Let us know how they turn out!
Dale

Hi Everyone - thanks for the tips! Ribs have been on for an hour and a half now. Chris's recipe says 250 degrees but they've been going more at 200 degrees although I've been gently adjusting the Smokenator and have it at 228 right now. I am enjoying the ease of the Smokenator, we'll see how the ribs taste!

Laura

Laura, it's common for a decent amount of cold meat to cause low temp readings in the first hour or so in a small cooker. Open the vents some more if needed to get 250, and don't worry if you overshoot it some, but the reason why Chris Lilly and others recommend 250* for unfoiled spares is that it's just the perfect temp. Cook much slower and the ribs will typically get tender without much texture on the outside, and they can start to dry out, as well. Cook too much over though and the bark can start to get too thick and dry. I call it "jerky bark". Way I look at it though, while 250* should be the target, you're good as long as you don't stay on either end of the "bbq zone" of 225-275* for too long. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Hmmm, well maybe trying to do 250 with the Smokenator isn't such a great idea. I've been going in the 220-225 range (at 212 right now). Never got to 250 but didn't try very hard, thought 225 was fine.

So, I am feeling successful with my Smokenator experiment but maybe my ribs will be a bit funky. I did eat the rib tips I trimmed and they were delicious!

In theory the 2 rack of ribs at 5 pounds total should be done in 4 hours at 250 degrees. What about 5 pounds of ribs done at 220-225? 5 hours? I've been googling but gotten all kinds of different results. I'll keep on googling.

Thank you -

Laura

The ribs turned out great. I'm very happy. Thanks again, everybody.

Also the Smokenator kept a constant temp for well over 6 hours. I look forward to more BBQ and experiments this winter besides my usual grilling adventures! Bring it!

Laura

Atta boy RG, keep Laura honest! As Jim Lampe likes to say in the Photo Gallery forum, if there are no pictures, the cook didn't happen! ;) Laura, so glad your ribs came out good! I checked back on your original post, but I didn't see if you were doing spares or loin back? If spare ribs, as implied by your post about the "rib tips", 6 hours is more normal at the temps you were cooking. If interested, try searching this forum for high heat ribs and/or high heat brisket. You can cook spare ribs in < 4 hours using the methods in those threads. And I find them to be just as tasty. And please post pictures of your cooks in the Photo Gallery! (did I mention that already? :))

I will! I took pics but they were very iPhoneish and not the best quality. I've been pulled back into work but when I have a few moments, I'll post them. I'll come back and let you know that they're up.

I plan on doing ribs again this weekend for my friends! Wheeeeeeee! And tonight I got to sear some steakhouse steaks for my friends over hardwood lump and cast iron grates. It's a good week. :)

Laura

Laura

Also - they were spare ribs. This cook was mainly me testing my Smokenator, which was successful, but I didn't get the temp up to 250 degrees which I understand might be a little hot for the Smokenator.

Rib racks after trimming were different sizes - smaller one finished at 5 1/2 hours, the other at 6. I could have let them go a little longer past being done, but I was hungry and done with my Smokenator experiment.

I am doing spare ribs again this weekend, and will definitely look up how to get my kettle to 250 to go for 4 hours. I am so glad this forum is here - I have learned a ton.

Laura

I've seen Meathead's comments on the Smokenator, but I have no direct experience. If I smoke on the kettle, I just use a Minion method start and control the temp with the bottom and top vents. Usually both about 1/4 open keeps it in a good range. Glad you're having fun with your barbecuing and grilling!

Back