Barbacoa de Vaca Cabeza

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
My first thoughts of making this came back in August. Bought the tongue last week... prepped it by boiling it yesterday, then peeled the skin off, wrapped it in Saran and into the fridge. It'll be added to the smoker later today (Saturday).
(Italicized words are links to web pages and or additional photos)

DSCN2926.JPG

Picked up the head from Harry Hansen's yesterday, called my BIL over with his sawsall...

DSCN2892.JPG

...decided to cut off the nose portion and the lower mouth part (with the teeth).
There is no meat lost there and I can use the room inside the 22" WSM.

DSCN2894.JPG

The head was seasoned with granulated garlic powder & roasted granulated onion powder, cumin, pepper and (i forget...)
I will be using the lower rack over the water pan... I used U-clamps for handles on the cooking grate to make lifting it out easier.
The water pan has two foiled clay saucers inside, a smaller one inside a larger one. Hopefully, this will help maintain the temps i'm looking for. The water pan is then foiled all around for easy clean up afterwards.
Last night, I tossed a few pieces of hickory in a bucket of water. Soaked them to have them smolder longer. We'll see if that works.

DSCN2904.JPG

And that brings us to Today!

DSCN2886.JPG

It's a beautiful sunny day in Raymond Wisconsin, a bit cold, butt we'll take it!
Started the fire using a propane gun, only wanted a few coals lit... then dropped on a hunka hickory.

DSCN2927.JPG

Once it got going, the foiled cabeza was added to the bottom rack of the WSM.

DSCN2928.JPG

I did buy banana leaves (lots of them) butt decided foil is too easy to use.
So.... there it stands... smokin' away.

DSCN2933.JPG

The goal is to cook this in the range of 200ºF to 225ºF. At this time of typing, it is at 265ºF.
Vents have been closed to allow very minimum air. We'll see how it goes.
More photos and fun to follow....
Thanks for visiting!

Dude! You are crazy...

Looking forward to this,but doesent matter how good the end product is...I just cant cook a head. Or tongue. Props for trying....And if i dident have that "mental block" im sure i would love it. Promise to keep us updated. Wanna se what This turn in to:
DSCN2894.JPG

In a few hours!? :confused:

All I can say is WOW !!!
I have never seen anything like this on a WSM, is there anything a Weber cant do ??

Well, it sure doesn't look edible, yet, but does look like it could eat you back.
And I'll take your word for it that this is such fun:p

Have a Blast Jim!

Good luck with this cook. If it tastes good I'll take your word for it. Like I said in an other thread, I don't like my dinner looking back at me.

Jim,Have Liz give me a call! I thing we have a little problem (COWS HEAD,AND ON THE ROOF).
Just kidding,I give you a lot of credit. GOOD LUCK! Is Liz going to try it?
Can't wait for more pics. Please save the teeth.My wife needs an inplant!
Chuck.

I have eaten tacos de cabeza (beef head tacos)and lingua (tongue) tacos several times from a local taco truck, but I have not cooked them myself. The cheek from the head is supposed to be very good meat.

Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Looks great so far. Don't you think you'll be losing some of the flavor profile by not using the banana leaves?

I remember once we went with friends to a Greek restaurant and my buddy ordered trout, knowing how he was I warned him that the fish would come with the head on it and he didn't believe me. A short time later out comes his trout and it's sitting on the plate staring back at him, you should have seen the look on his face. The waiter wondered why the rest of us were laughing and took one look at the guy and said " Sir would you like me to take that to the kitchen and have the head removed". He manned up and ate it with the head and we spent dinner trying to convince him the eyes were the best part.

ok... after 8 plus hours....
here is the beef.

DSCN2942.JPG
DSCN2941.JPG

The head was cooked on it's head, what you see is the bottom side.
I'll let it cool a bit then trim it down.
More photos (if you're brave enough to peek) to follow.
Some of you may want to simply go flip a burger :p

Jim...where is your wife...Is she in on this cook too? Looking forward to your next post. How much meat is this body part?

Back