Throwdown #9: PORK LOIN

RCBaughn

TVWBB Super Fan
Well after much thought (too much stressing really I guess :) ) and many helpful suggestions for this cut, I've decided that we need to give PORK LOIN a go! Prep it in any way you want. Throw it on a grilled pizza, wrap it in bacon, smoked, grilled, endless preps to consider! I assume that pork loin and pork tenderloin are considered the same thing here really? If not we can specify which this challenge will encompass.

BTW, someone who is a long standing member here help with a cut-off date for submissions and i'll edit this first post to reflect that. Wasn't sure how long this would need to run with Thanksgiving coming up toward the end of November.

Last edited:
Pork loin and pork tenderloin are quite different, in my mind. I would suggest maybe pork loin for this challenge? What do others think?

Regards,
Chris

I think either would be good. Like RC said, lot's of ways to do it.

RC: regarding time - I think it's usually a month (give or take)

Cory, you decide. Loin is a larger muscle, can be done as a roast, chops, bone-in or boneless, etc. Tenderloin is a different, smaller muscle, much more tender, lean as can be, always boneless, cooks quickly, usually two to a package.

Picture of pork loin roast
Picture of pork tenderloin

I would suggest one or the other, that way we can use the other for a future throwdown.

Regards,
Chris

BTW, someone who is a long standing member here help with a cut-off date for submissions and i'll edit this first post to reflect that. Wasn't sure how long this would need to run with Thanksgiving coming up toward the end of November.

I don't know if I'm long-standing, but I am a Gold Member and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. We usually run Throwdowns for about 4 weeks and I think they generally end on Sundays. How's 11/24 sound?

I say pork loin, just because I happened to cook one tonight... and I have pics to submit. I always seem to have cooked something for the throwdown the week before it starts, and this time I got lucky and cooked something timely. Please make it pork loin! :)

What do you guys think about pork loin? It seems that there are a few different ways it can be cut which will provide some variation in the submissions, but that may also pose a problem since it has been mentioned that too many ways of prep can cause difficulty judging at the same time. Then again, the last one (ground meat) had a lot of variation in how it could be prepped and used and that was a huge success I think. A lot of people joined in for sure on the submissions and voting.

Let's go pork loin if that's okay guys, I really wanna try my hand at it. I myself have never smoked or grilled anything off a pig other than ribs, so this would be fun and new!

Pork loins are probably cheaper than tenderloins too, definitely a plus for me and probably a few others. Make it easier to submit a couple of entries before it's over. :D

**************** Chris, can you change the title of this thread to Pork Loin and not Tenderloin? I'd hate for someone to just see the title and not read the thread and end up cooking a cut that isn't in the range of submissions.*************

Last edited:
Sounds like the cut-off is Saturday night, November 24, that's the Saturday after Thanksgiving here in the US.

Regards,
Chrsi

That sounds great. Seems like there will be time to do one to go with the Thanksgiving turkey and get it in on the submissions. :)

Here we go!
This is how we started
100_0009_zps8ef280f5.jpg

Sauteed some wild rice and green onions and mushrooms
Butterflied the loin and stuffed with the rice and mushrooms
100_0013_zpsa65749c0.jpg

100_0014_zps93948de1.jpg

Olive oil, chilie powder, chipotle powder, guajillo chilie powder and peppercorn medly
100_0015_zpsc71b1213.jpg

On the smoker
100_0017_zps837c688a.jpg

Kids making an offering to the smoke god
100_0016_zpsca3599d4.jpg

After one hour
100_0019_zpsf3094ee1.jpg

Glazed with raspberry vinegrette glaze
100_0020_zps11a784af.jpg

Finished with slivered toasted almonds and more glaze
100_0023_zps8968a3f3.jpg

On the plate!!