Arizona > Gilbert: Joe's Real B-B-Q

Tom Rotta

TVWBB Fan
301 N Gilbert Road
Gilbert, AZ 85234
(480) 503-3805
http://joesrealbbq.com/

Opened in 1998, the restaurant is set in a 1940’s time frame and décor that honors Arizona, particularly the Gilbert area, during that period. Using 3 Oyler pits burning mostly Pecan wood and turning out some of the best BBQ I've found locally. For 12 consecutive year on May 4th, they provide a free meal as an annual customer appreciation giveaway. The free meal includes a pecan smoked pulled pork or chicken breast sandwich, accompanied by a side of coleslaw and a drink.

Joe Johnston also runs Joe's Farm Grill. Great food with fresh produce grown right there on the same piece of land as the grill. This place has been featured on the Food Network show Diners Drive-ins and Dives.

Thanks for the post Tom! Next time we get down to Gilbert (or anywhere close) we'll have to try this place!

I haven't eaten at the main Joe's, but the Farm Grill is good. I think the bbq is made at the main restaurant and reheated at the farm grill, but the burgers and onion rings are very tasty at the farm grill. Everyone I know loves the bbq baked potato at Joe's and I hear that you eat free on your birthday. Since it is only 10-15 minutes up the street, I need to try it. Thanks for the review.

I've been there twice now. First time was pretty decent. The second time was for one of my kids birthday dinner. Said he wanted ribs and I didn't have time to smoke them at home. Picked Joe's and it's probably the last time we go there. We got a couple of racks of ribs and they were WAY overdone. Some of the smaller ribs on the rack were more like chewing jerky. Since it was the kiddos birthday, I ate them with a smile on my face, but thinking to myself, "how could someone service something like this". Just say you are sold out of ribs instead of serving crap. Plenty of other stuff on the menu to choose from. Might have just been a bad night for them, but I'm done.

Back