Thanksgiving Turkey

Stuart S

TVWBB Pro
I did a 15 pound turkey on Sunday for Canadian Thanksgiving.

Got it on the Performer at 3:00 for a 6:00 eating time. Brined using Chris A's recipe on the home page, then rinsed and put butter, salt, pepper and Newfoundland Savory in the cavity and under the skin. Used dual baskets with some Charcos and Maple Leaf brand Sugar Maple Briquettes. Two year old apple wood chunks from the orchard near my house were also pulled out of the reserve and applied for the first hour.

B986A120-EC3E-4469-B900-02C9E7B25103-2286-0000041F3AA3FCC5.jpg

While that cooked I made some cranberry sauce to go with it, simple sauce with water, sugar, maple syrup and lemon zest.

925ABBFC-110D-4E61-95CD-70F315D5AA74-2286-0000041F345A0E32.jpg

Checked on the bird an hour later when the maverick notified me temps were dropping, added some coals and basted with some melted butter.

7563EAE8-5E49-4BE6-8BC6-FDEC2810729F-2286-0000041F3EEA8BD4.jpg

Here's the bird off the grill, right before carving.

5B5EB801-94B9-4657-BAA4-EED8DD1ADBE5-2286-0000041F44127B4C.jpg

Served with mashed, roasted yams & butternut & pepper squash, carrots, turnips, stuffing (baked on the Weber in a roasting pan while the turkey rested) and gravy made using the de-fatted drippings with the neck and giblets under the bird. The gravy was actually the star of the show, picking up lots of smokey goodness! I didn't get a plated pic because I was trying to get sides ready for 10 people...but I did snap a pic of the homemade pies my sisters in-laws brought (pumpkin, lemon meringue and coconut cream).

950DE427-0FB4-46ED-8FFC-9DE1A15B8102-2286-0000041F484C6049.jpg

* as usual my lovely daughter made the place cards and she always puts a grill on mine!

If you celebrate Thanksgiving in October then I'll say happy Thanksgiving now, you hosers. If not, then hopefully this cook gets you primed up for Thanksgiving in November!!!

Last edited:
WOW! How easy seem cook this in the OTG. Beautiful large bird Stuart. I've never grilled whole turkey, it's on my list.

Stuart looks good, but you gotta have football on Thanksgiving. I found that a 10lb turkey will cook nice on a 18"WSM @ 320 or hotter for near 2hrs.

That bird looks good!
I think I should celebrate Canadian thanksgiving, US thanksgiving and Cinco de mayo! More good reasons to fire up the weber!!

Great looking turkey! You air dry it for a bit before you threw it on? Looks like you got super crispy skin which is tough tough tough to do on the ole smoker!

No I didn't, but I wish I had. The skin looks great, but it was rubbery. I cooked this bird at about 350, but only for 2.5 hours so not enough time to render the skin all the way.

A small question, as I'm not very experienced in cooking turkeys elsewhere than in an oven.
Regarding the rubbery skin, I just wonder if a weed burner or something would do the trick? It would be a shame to overcook the turkey, and getting dry meat, just to get crispy skin. Just a thought.

I have a Benzomatic propane torch that I'll try out tonight on the chicken I'ma smoke if my skin turns out rubbery and let y'all know that one for sure. I guess it doesn't matter that it's a chicken and not a turkey. Poultry skin is poultry skin I'd think.

Nice turkey! Got me thinking about turkey day already! I smoked about 4 turkeys prior to thanksgiving last year and burned ourselves out on them so I am trying not to cook one till turkey day this year! Yours looks super crispy skin or not (I think that's over rated any way!)

Tell the truth Stuart, you stole those pics from Norman Rockwell!? Great looking turkey meal!

Back