Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How I made my SJG hot

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How I made my SJG hot

I was drawn to this BB after I purchased my SJG. I was somewhat frustrated with the lack of heat that the SJG produced. Honestly I did little rearch before I purchased and thought Gold has to be better than Silver... so I bought the SJG.

• I read the various threads on charcoal postitioning and found that helped somewhat.
    • I was also drawn to the threads around modifying the SJG by putting in a vent in the bottom essentially making it a SJS.
    • I read a thread by someone who made wings of sheet metal to draw the air from the side vents down and under the charcoal. Cool idea.

I came away from the the reasearch wishing that I had bought the SJS. I am in an apartment... so I did like the way the SJG closed up, shut down in 20 minutes and is absolutely portable.

Thanks to those that posted mods. For me however, I was looking for a way to increase the performance of the SJG without doing mods.

Below is my quick, easy and deadly effective way of increasing the SJG performance. Give it a try.

Fundametally I use a tripple layer of aluminum foil to create a managed the air flow. (like the wings idea... but no skills required)

The foil is loosly put over the openvent on one side, the charcoal is stacked against the closed vent on the other.

Another view:

The foil is held in place by the grate, like so:

Here is a pic of the set up with a drip pan (after roast chicken)

I reuse the foil for 5-10 burns...it eventually starts to break down.

Temperature Contol:
    As well documented to get a hot burn the coals need to be well lit. That is essential for this method.
    Once lit:
    With the side vent open and the lid over the coals I easily achieve 600F throttle down with the side vent.
    With the side vent open and the lid opposite the coals the temp runs about 500F throttle down with the side vent.
    This set up lets me run temps right down to 225 with no dificulties and manage a 10 hour burn with a Minion method.

Before discovering this set up I would throttle down with the top vent as any closure of the side would be fatal to the burn. Now I control temp with the side vent.

This simple set up has transformed the SJG for me with no physical changes to the Q. Life is good!

Enjoy.

Iver.

Wow!! Wow so simple I can't wait to try i
    rich the vegan
    Its all part of life's rich pageant

Brilliant Alan......are you saying you got a 10 hr burn without adding more charcoal?I see you are using lump charcoal....I think lump and Smokey Joes are made for each other.
    Weber Smokey Joe gold mini WSM....2001 Weber Genesis Silver B [refurbished]......PBC

Glen, Yes, I get a 10 hr burn without adding charcoal. I use the drip pan to hold the charcoal (sprinkled with smoke wood) in place un-lit against the side opposite the aluminum foil. I light 3-5 medium pieces of lump put them on one side of the pile and control temp to ~250. This gives me a full 10+ hours. I get pork butts from the butcher, and get them cut to 3" in height so that they fit inside the SJG.
    Rookie Weber owner.
    SJG, One Touch Gold

Thanks Alan....I have got to try this...never to old to learn a new trick.
    Now you need to make a wsm mini out of it.
    Weber Smokey Joe gold mini WSM....2001 Weber Genesis Silver B [refurbished]......PBC

Glen, it is in the plan... I am in HK so will try to find a proper sized steamer, I just need to spend the time crawling through the restaurant
    supply stores.
    Rookie Weber owner.
    SJG, One Touch Gold

Welcome to the site Alan, great tip for increasing the heat on SJG
    Summit s-450, WSM 18 1/2, Blue performer, SS Red performer, Red 22 1/2 OTS, 22 1/2 OTG, 3 - 22 1/2 OTS, 2- 18 1/2 OTS, 3 Smokey joe

Me Like! But me and HD foil don't get along when it's in direct contact with coals.
    I'll try this on the SJP with a disposable foil pan, trimmed to fit with a pair of heavy duty scissors and folded up the side.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

Tim, I ensure that the coals are not on the Aluminum... I did it because I thought they would not burn if on the foil. This has worked out fine.

Alan.
    Last edited by Alan N; 10-20-2012 at 04:41 PM.
    Rookie Weber owner.
    SJG, One Touch Gold

Alan, any suggestions for a slow, long cook (220-250) with a SJS?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast