pellet grill yes or no

Grant W

TVWBB Member
right now i have a performer, 22.5 kettle,smokey joe, 22.5 wsm, 18.5 wsm, 18.5 kettle. really been looking at pellet grills? Louisiana grills has a tailgater model thats on sale here, the traeger dealer will give me a great deal on a texas elite model, almost wondering if im being suckered by media?? if it dont cook better than my smoker joe ill be mad as hell lol

Sure. Get one. You'll have fun with a new toy. I was wondering though why you want one? My thought was that if you want more of an automated cook, I think I'd spend less money and get a blower for my WSM. What will you be cooking?

the ease of start up, but starting my other grills isnt killing me either, i do already have a ique controller that works well. less smoke is what scares me away maybe, dont want it to taste like i cooked on propane. maybe a better controller would be a better choice something that logs?

i own a mak pellet grill. fantastic piece of equipment. set it to smoke for 2 hours them go to 250° until the meat heats 195 then goes to smoke mode. very easy and the butt, briskets and ribs have great flavor.

I spoke to a gentleman who has both webers and treagers he knew about how good weber customer service is from experience. He said the treagers had some issues and the first experience was handled very well but the second time he contacted cs about paint peeling on a different one they sent him a can of paint. He was not happy. I don't know if it has been resolved.

The other scare away is it seems the majority of pellet grills avail here in Canada are china grills, louisianna grills are made in the us, which is why I think I'm kind of leaning towards the tailgater, got a decent price and I can see if I'm going to like it, the traeger Texas he's going to match us pricing of 999 which doesn't happen much here, the tailgater seems well made. The traeger looks china made the way the body is dented in from where the legs secure to the body, and that's just from looking at it on the website

I know a BBQ comp team that used Traegers but went out and got a couple WSMs because they wanted to get a better charcoal/smoked product for their comps.

I have a friend who does competition Q and all he cooks on are pellet poopers. (Bill Anderson - Chatham artillery) He cooks on FEC100s, and does really well. The reason he likes pellet smokers is how easy it is to control the temperature and that results in fewer mistakes. Fewer mistakes means better scores at a contest. The only thing he does is adds liquid smoke to all of his recipies because the smoke flavor isn't as strong in his pellet units. I personally think that a WSM sealed with Nomex and with a temp control unit would be the better wasy to go. Just my .02

P.S. If yur gonna get a pellet machine be sure to check out pelletheads.com. they have a lot of performance reviews and comments etc. on a lot of different units.

Poke it n smoke it

I have a bunch of different cookers. I enjoy them all and rotate them in and out of service depending on my mood. I get the most use out of my Weber OTG. After that, it's a toss up between my Big Green Egg and my Traeger BBQ075 pellet cooker. I turn out good food on all of them, but the Traeger is definitely the easiest to use and the most hassle free. My advice is that you're probably okay with what you already have, but if you wanna try something new you won't go wrong with a pellet cooker.

Bill

Back