Genesis 1000 rehab

Michael Berry

TVWBB Fan
Almost finished...just need to sand and refinish wood. Thinking about using a semi transparent stain/sealer...any ideas? I bought the one you see in the before pictures on CL for $40. It had one bad burner and terrible flavor bars. Found another CL redhead 1000 for $20 that had fairly new burners, stainless flavor bars and cast iron grates in great shape. It also had wood in better condition. The guy had replaced with white oak. They're solid and just need to be refinished. Basically made one good one out of the two. So far I've only bought high heat paint and one bolt nut and washer...besides the two grills that is

Before and afters.......

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I think I'd go with something on the darker side of a wood stain so stuff wouldn't show up as bad and then top that with some gym floor polyurethane. You ever used that stuff? It is SUPER thick, like molasses, and goes on in nice thick coats and dries really smooth, no brush strokes visible. Would provide a ton of protection even out in the weather and also be super easy to wipe down, even with bleach. It's almost like having one of those plastic tabletop covers over the table except it's stuck to the wood forever. We put it on our Mennonite rockers and they have held up great over the past 5 or 6 years since we did them, but you may want a duller finish instead of a really shiny one.

Back