Tailgating with SJP

Barry McCorkle

TVWBB Super Fan
With college football in full swing now, I have broken out the SJP for tailgating at Clemson games. Here are a few pictures from week 1 where I used it to grill a 2 1/2 lb. tri-tip. It was a 12:30 game so I wanted to have breakfast items and then some tri tip sliders to eat just before going to the stadium. I was able to start the tri tip at 9:30 by indirect cooking while using the other side of the grill to direct cook some smoked sausage for breakfast. Typically I have the normal issue of not maintaining high temps for grilling a few loads of burgers, but it really worked great for this application. I think banking the coals against the vent holes on one side and placing the lid on the cooker with the top vent over the meat kept air flowing over the coals to keep the temps where I wanted them.

Nice thing about the SJP, once the grilling is finished and the vents are closed, it's cool enough to put in the car within 30 minutes. That's with the coals still in it. No worries about disposing the coals till I get home.

My apologies up front on the pictures not capturing the real feel for how it turned out, since these were done as a last thought.

sjp1.jpg

sjp2.jpg

And to prove I was not grilling on the lunar surface as the grill picture looked, here is the tailgating spot as I was breaking down the tailgate and packing it away.
Tailgating.jpg

Last edited:

Back