WSM & Rain

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
Hi All,

I'm usually pretty good at cleaning up after a cook but recently my little one has learned to crawl giving me a bad case of amnesia regarding other responsibilities. I left my WSM out for 3 days when a good amount of rain fell. I'm not worried about any serious effects (all vents were closed from the previous use and temps were spring like) but can anyone give me their experience with rain and the WSM (not during a cook)?

Note - I'm also the guy who has left my cheapie grill out in all weather including Toronto winters for almost 10 yrs with no ill effects outside of cosmetic.

Thanks as always,

James

Due to the design of the lid and middle section you can expect to find some water in the kettle section if it rains and the WSM is not covered. If you leave it for an extended period of time without emptying the water then you may find a preponderance of mold growing on the inside, which is not an ideal situation if you are planning on using soon. A high-heat burn will usually take care of the mold problem

Thanks Gary. I did a rib smoke last Sunday and left it out until today (5 nights, 3 rainy). I haven't seen anything strange during my clean (grates, bowl and base). I'll give it a nice burn without the pan (and waste some leftover, unburned lump) tomorrow a few hours before my next cook and shut everything down after an hour.

My main concern was the potential for rust on the therm, door, exterior bolts and legs but I don't expect that this should be an issue given Weber's history.

James

My 18 WSM has lived outside on a back patio area that has no roof over it for well over a year now. Most of the time it is covered with the vinyl cover that came with it except for when I forget. More than a few times I've had to empty a bunch of water out of the bottom bowl. So far there isn't any sign of rust or corrosion.

Russ

I'm a new WSM owner and maybe this is a dumb question - but why would water get into the cooker if you have the top vent closed????

Back