Pork Loin stuffed with mushrooms, spinach, bacon, and goat cheese

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
I did this a few nights ago to a half of a full pork loin. Very tasty, especially when dabbed with a bit of raspberry chipotle sauce.

Stuffed Pork Loin, from The Guilty Kitchen

Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes (or about 1.5 hours in the cooker - kc)

1 1/2 lb. pork loin, centre cut (mine was more like 3 lb - kc)
1/2 lb. crimini mushrooms, cubed (or a blend like shi-take, portobello, oyster, etc.)
150 g baby spinach or chopped large leaf spinach, stems removed (I used 6 oz bag baby spinach)
4 1/2 oz. thick cut, bacon (preferably double smoked), diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp butter
1/4 cup white wine or vermouth
4 green onions, chopped
60g chèvre
100g goat feta (or regular)
1 Tbsp fresh thyme
kosher salt to taste
fresh ground peper to taste

For the crust:
1/4 cup Dijon or Grey Poupon
1 clove garlic, minced
kosher salt to taste
fresh ground pepper to taste
1 tbsp fresh oregano
1 tbsp fresh thyme

1. First we need to roll cut the pork loin. The easiest way to describe the method is this: Lay your knife parallel to the cutting board with one end of the pork loin nearest to you. Slice 1/2 an inch from cutting board (you are trying to get the pork loin as thin as possible) from right to left but don’t cut all the way through, leave at least 1/2 an inch as a hinge. Now place your knife in the centre of the pork loin “book”, blade facing left. Cut another flap towards the left, leaving another 1/2″ as a hinge. You should now have a 1/2″ think piece of pork loin that you will be able to stuff and roll up.
2. In a large, deep sauté pan melt butter over medium heat.
3. Add in mushrooms and garlic and sauté until softened. Add in bacon and allow to crisp as much as possible. Add spinach and sauté until completely wilted.
4. Deglaze pan with wine and allow to completely evaporate.
5. Stir in cheeses, green onions and thyme and remove from heat. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 375°F (run cooker to 300, full ring of burning charcoal and foiled waterpan - kc).
7. Leaving one inch of space from edge of loin, spoon on cheese/spinach mixture in thick line. Roll left edge over and roll towards the right. Tie with kitchen twine (or if you don’t have any just rest pork on baking sheet with seam side down) and place on greased baking sheet. (I tied it and left it on a wire rack throughout cooking - kc)
8. Mix crust ingredients in a small bowl and slather onto loin in a thick layer. Coating all sides.
9. Roast in preheated oven for 50-55 minutes (in cooker around 300 for 1.5 hours - kc) . Internal temperature should be 160°F and there should be a tinge of pink left in the pork. (I took mine out a little sooner than 160, maybe 153-155 or so).
10. Allow to rest for a few minutes before carving.
11. Serve with small side salad for a nice light meal.

**This recipe was developed 100% by Elizabeth at The Guilty Kitchen. She has pictures of the process here. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time
Chief cook of Hot Wire BBQ Award-Winning Competition BBQ Team

Last edited:
Keri, that all sounds fantastic! I've done similar but can't wait to execute this recipe. Thanks for the share.

We made this, along with another loin stuffed with a challah/apple combo, for a Christmas dinner. It was certainly a winner - thanks for sharing, Keri!

Jarrod

Oh my, that sounds wonderful. Too bad my wife doesn't like mushrooms, feta, goat cheese or Dijon.
:( :( :(

BTW, you could sub all feta or all chevre if one or the other is difficult to find.

Back