Rusty Jumbo Joe SJP

Robb Kruger

TVWBB Member
Nabbed a SJP off of CL this weekend for $15. Photos looked rough and when I got there, the pics didn't lie. The finish on the kettle turned out nice... Calvin is trying to adopt this one...but should I just replace all of the rusted leg and bail hardware. It's deeply pitted. BTW... it is a 2004 vintage.

main.php

Nice find!
I have an 06 and some of the plating on the steel legs is starting to wear off. I had good luck using black Rustoleum hammered finish on a rusty pitted leg triangle for my WSM. You could try that in a silver after removing most of the rust.
You're hardware is prolly toast huh? Go with SS fasteners when you decide.

Tim

Howdy All;

Try some 'Navel Jelly'. Removes all of the oxidation and leaves a protective film...

hankaye

Tell you what I used on an old wire type smokey joe legs, gun blue. Just kept working on them, even sanded them till they were smooth(er), then three or four coats of gun blue. I love the color.

I like that idea. Maybe I can call it the "Jumbo Joe Cartwright"... in deference to its gunslinger remake.

So, cover it in naval jelly or soak in white vinegar and then cover in gun blue. Does that sound right? Never worked with the stuff.

Polish it out to smooth the pits, then follow the instructions on the gun blue kit/bottle. If I had too many pennies and one to restore, I'd love to get the legs done in steel and then case colored. Or maybe some "jeweling" aka "Engine Turning".

I have a 1983 wsm with steel legs that were rusty. I wire wheeled them until they were shiny steel again. I have a wire wheel on my bench grinder.
Then I sprayed them with a couple of layers of clear engine paint from the auto parts store.

Robb Kruger, Howdy;

I like that idea. Maybe I can call it the "Jumbo Joe Cartwright"... in deference to its gunslinger remake.

So, cover it in naval jelly or soak in white vinegar and then cover in gun blue. Does that sound right? Never worked with the stuff.

The 'Navel Jelly is very caustic, Water 'kills' it. Be sure to wear rubber gloves, NOT latex, Rubber. Brush it on, leave it alone for the recommended
time then give it another 30 minutes..... rinse it off... dry it ... done !
Read the directions on the label and follow them. It also leaves a nice 'satin' type of finish that will not rust and looks nice. Your thoughts may vary on the
finish...

As the magician was known to say ...zoot-zoot ......pooof ..... la volia ! :cool:

hank

Very nice find Robb! I've been seeing quite a few SJS's on CL lately, and even a jumbo like yours a couple of weeks ago. I also like how you enlisted some help in the cleaning process, I'll have to try that with mine ;) at eight years old I think he's ready :rolleyes:

Back