Skin cut back to the shank.

IMG_0561.jpg

Paste rub

IMG_0562.jpg

Wrapped and in the fridge for 2 days.

IMG_0564.jpg

On today around noon.

IMG_0565.jpg

After 5 hours...cocktails may have affected my focus a little...

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

Plattered.

IMG_0569.jpg

Plated with some rice my friend made...not sure what it was but it was excellent.

IMG_0570.jpg

Excellent meal. The chicharones were incredible. I pulled it at 175* internal and some parts were kind of dry. I think it needed another 10 degrees or so to moisten up a little more. Will do again, for sure!

Thanks for looking and have a great Labor Day, all!

Great cook, Don!

I hate it when my camera has a drink or two, too many and refuses to focus on the subject.;)

Enjoy your Labor Day!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that wasn't the first time a camera was set to cocktail-focus around these parts. This was probably the first Pernil posted, though. Awesome cook!

Looks great Don...(cocktail focus or not!) you should have a bit left for sammie as well!!

That wasn't a focus problem, it was drool running over your lens.:D )))))):::::::::::::::::::::::> D

Great way to start the weekend. Bought a shoulder myself yesterday; smoking it today for PP later in the week with friends.
I've never done pernil with skin on. It was crispy? Anything special I would need to do for a crispy skin?

Dang Don, if you're gonna make me Google a word, at least spell it right:D
It's chicharrones.
The Chicharones are an American hip hop duo.

Perfect looking Pernil and Pics, well most of them:p

I first saw this post late last night, I thought my eyes were funky (they still are) butt holeySmokes Don,
This cookin' is Lookin' OUTSTANDING!!
Nice Work!

Dang Don, if you're gonna make me Google a word, at least spell it right:D
It's chicharrones.
The Chicharones are an American hip hop duo.

Perfect looking Pernil and Pics, well most of them:p
;)
You never struck me as a hiphop fan Bob. But I agree that the pork looks great!

Don – Thanks for the great post and pics. We do something similar with a butt as opposed to the traditional picnic and have struggled to replicate the flavors of “Bergenline” NJ – home of many Puerto Rican and Cuban restaurants. I too had read Kevin’s post but missed his recipe. I think we will tweak ours a bit and give it another shot. I’m curious about your cooking temps?? – love chicarrones when they come out right!

Jim

Thanks everyone!

Gary: Yes, the skin was very crispy...and delicious. As for anything special to get crispy skin, I peeled it back before rubbing the paste all over the meat and didn't get any paste on the outside of the skin. When it went on the grill I rubbed kosher salt on the outside of the skin. As you may be able to make out in the blurry photos, the skin shrunk up considerably (which I should have expected). Next time I may try pinning it down with some tooth pics or skewers or something and see if it will stay flat.

Jim: I used a full chimney of lit K in two baskets, forming a "V" (tips touching). The picnic was indirect the whole time, shank end in the "v" but indirect. I ran it an hour at ~400* and then it took around 3 more at ~350* to get to 175* internal. I had to add about 10 coals toward the end to keep temps up. Like I said, I'll probably take it to ~185* next time, so I think that would add another 45 minutes - an hour more.

Back