Sausage Stuffed Pork Loin on the Rotisserie

John Sp

TVWBB All-Star
Hello All,

I just returned from evacuating for Hurricane Isaac. I live in Slidell, LA which received significant flooding damage again. This time around I brought my Weber with me and cooked several meals for us in an hotel in north LA (I received many remarks about wishing they had thought of this). Fortunately upon our return, we discovered we were spared significant damage this time around (praise God). After a hard day of cleaning up with my boys, I decided to celebrate our fortune (and the safe return of our women - wife and daughter) with a quick grilling session for dinner.

I prepared a pork sausage stuffed pork roast. I used a section of pork loin from Sam's club and stuffed it with green onion pork sausage (Don's Specialty Meats in Scott, La). This was dusted with a mixture of 5 parts Montreal Steak Seasoning, 4 parts Lemon Pepper, and one part Benoit's seasoning (Port Allen, La) after coating the loin with olive oil.

stuffedrotisseriepigroa.jpg
Prepped Roast Prior to Cooking

I cooked the loin on the rotisserie over indirect charcoal with a couple of chunks of dry hickory until it reached an internal temp of 155 F (about 75 min).

startofcook.jpg

Start of Cook

I rested it under foil for about 15 minutes and then carved it for the table.

midcook.jpg
Mid Cook

preparingtorest.jpg
Preparing to Rest

carved.jpg
Carved

I served it along side some pan roasted carrots and garlic and steamed vegetables.

platedh.jpg

Plated

The verdict was: "It didn't suck at all" - High praise from my crew!

Notes:

To stuff the loin, I use a slicing knife to cut a tunnel into the roast, I cut from one end to the other without breaching the sides of the roast, I slice a tunnel wide enough to receive a double length of the sausage. I coat the sausage length with olive oil and then shove it into the tunnel in the roast. It helps if the sausage is still slightly frozen to accomplish the stuffing...

Variations:

-> You can do this in the oven (although I can't imagine why you would). Run it at 425 for about 15 min and then finish at 350 until 155 deg F internal.

-> Substitute your own favorite rub (I didn't need to tell you that - did I?).

-> Substitute the sausage stuffing - I have used andouille or boudin successfully in place of the onion sausage.

Instead of cutting a tunnel, have you thought about doinf a "Z" cut lengthwise on the loing and spreading the sausage then rolling it back up like a jelly roll?

Bill - thanks for the idea. I have been meaning to do one in more of a 'roulade' style such as you suggest. The technique posted above works really well when you don't have a lot of time (which always seems to be the case for me). I have been thinking of doing one with ground Italian sausage, garlic, spinach and Parmesan cheese. any ideas for other ingredients?

Regards,

John

I missed this one first time around. Glad it was bumped today. Great lookin meal and good to hear all went well for you.

Back