Development Update: 1Hz updates

Bryan Mayland

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Those following git may have noticed I checked in changes yesterday to update the PID loop at 1 second intervals, down from 2 seconds. If you update your HeaterMeter firmware to 20120830B or greater, you will need to modify your PID "I" constant to compensate for the fact that updates come in twice as fast now.

The receiver code now has some adaptive update rate code which may seem a bit puzzling why the streaming updates in the web browser aren't updating every second. Streaming updates are sent at a rate of:
-- Once every 3 seconds if the data hasn't changed
-- Once every 2 seconds if the data has changed
-- Exception: an update is sent immediately if the data changes following a period of 3 seconds if inactivity

This procedure makes the unit seem more responsive (as the screen updates every second now), provides twice the resolution in SRTP (Long PID) mode, and provides a balance of load vs response in the underlying linkmeter structure. You can get the HeaterMeter firmware from the AVR Firmware online repository (on any browser except IE) and the new linkmeter package can be installed via
`opkg install http://capnbry.net/linkmeter/snapshots/trunk/packages/linkmeter_2_brcm47xx.ipk`

Excellent!

I'll try it out asap. Been busy recently and have not had much time to test.

Well done.

Well, I thought the update took, until I tried to change a configuration setting. All the settings on the HM got reset to defaults, and lua is pegged at 98% cpu. A reboot of the router didn't do anything, lua comes up with the cpu pegged.

The ipk says it installed correctly, and it restarted LUS, the AVR firmware says it updated correctly and restarted as well. Something isn't happy.

cat /dev/ttyS1 gives:
àààüàààüààààüààààààüààüàààààààààààààààààààüààààààüàààüààààüààààààüààüàààààààààààààààààààüààààààüàààüààààüàààààüààüàààààààààààààààààààüàààààüàààüààààüààààààüààüàà

I think the serial is all messed up.

dave

Last edited:
Well, I thought the update took, until I tried to change a configuration setting. All the settings on the HM got reset to defaults, and lua is pegged at 98% cpu. A reboot of the router didn't do anything, lua comes up with the cpu pegged.

The ipk says it installed correctly, and it restarted LUS, the AVR firmware says it updated correctly and restarted as well. Something isn't happy.

cat /dev/ttyS1 gives:
àààüàààüààààüààààààüààüàààààààààààààààààààüààààààüàààüààààüààààààüààüàààààààààààààààààààüààààààüàààüààààüàààààüààüàààààààààààààààààààüàààààüàààüààààüààààààüààüàà

I think the serial is all messed up.

dave

OK I downloaded the source, changed out the shiftLCD setting for my v3.1 board and reflashed and still the serial is hosed. Not sure what happened to this, but I still get garbage out the serial connection.

dave

You need to also change your baud rate in /etc/config/lucid to 38400 (from 115200). Sorry, forgot to mention that.

The Ki constant, whatever you have in there just divide it by two.

That fixed it. I had reflashed to the older copy and got that working, but it is good to get the new stuff running. I noticed that my Ki value was 0.01 prior and 0.005 post upgrade so it looks like you took care of that for the "default" settings.

And as always THANKS!
dave

You need to also change your baud rate in /etc/config/lucid to 38400 (from 115200). Sorry, forgot to mention that.

The Ki constant, whatever you have in there just divide it by two.

Back