Cocky Rooster--beer and sriracha

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
Well, I was looking for something different and I found it.

I normally like my beer straight up with no added ingredients (lime beer? lemon beer? bleh).

Anyways, I found a concoction that uses my favourite drink AND that uses sriracha.

I tried it. For me, nah. Maybe for you??

Cocky Rooster​

1 lime wedge
Kosher or sea salt
1 ounce lime juice
2-3 generous squeezes of Sriracha
3 dashes Maggi sauce (a beef-flavoured enhancement, normally add to stews to boost flavour--has MSG)
2 jalapeno slices (optional, for garnish)
12 ounces lager-style beer

Rub the lime wedge around the rim of a pint glass, then dip the glass into a small plate of salt to coat the rim. Add the lime juice, Sriracha and Maggi to the glass and stir. Slowly pour in the beer. Add ice cubes and jalapeno, if desired, and garnish with the lime wedge.

I saw the cut-off title of the thread on the forum home page, just "Cocky Rooster - beer and..", so my first thought was "ohmigod, it couldn't be sriracha, could it ?" ;)

Seems like it could be one heck of a hangover cure.

It's touted as such.

I don't like spicy Caesar's (or B' Mary's) either so I don't know why I thought I'd like this.

Gotta try everything once.

OK, I just mixed up something as close as I could get with the ingredients on hand (soy / worcestershire instead of Maggi, no citrus until the next grocery run) and it was surprisingly good (or at least nowhere near as bad as I feared ;)).

I probably put too much Sriracha in (two long squirts, will try two short ones next time) because it dominates the taste, but I bet some lime would have balanced it out even with the amount I put in.

Drinking a lot of these might be pretty painful though, I think this has to stay on the "morning after" list. Thanks for posting about it.

BTW I bet you already noticed that the recipe for a Cocky Rooster isn't that different from the marinade recipe for Tapatio Beer Wings:

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?6484-Tapatio-beer-Wings

Last edited:
It's a variation on cerveza michaleda (mee-cha-Lay-dah). From wikipedia:
Michelada is a Mexican cerveza preparada made with beer, lime juice, and assorted sauces, spices, and peppers. It is served in a chilled, salt-rimmed glass. There are numerous variations of this beverage throughout Mexico and Latin America.

In Mexico, micheladas are considered a good remedy for hangovers. There are different variations of Micheladas; for example in Mexico City, the most common form of a Michelada is prepared with beer, lime, salt, and particular hot sauces or chile slices. There are several other optional ingredients such as Maggi, Worcestershire sauce, Chamoy powder, serrano peppers, Clamato, or slices of orange.
My own preference is one can Miller Lite,
juice of one lime,
several generous dashes of habanero-based Caribbean hot sauce (like Melindas or Marie Sharps)
and Goya Adobo (basically very lightly seasoned salt) to taste.
This is strictly a summer drink for me. The cold beer and habanero heat really hits the belly in a satisfying way when it's hotter than blazes out.
I think I might not like the sugar in Sriracha.

Back