KCBS banned tenderloin

ScottE

Closed Account
This is from Chris Marks of the Three Little Pigs cooking team:

Here is the reason why KCBS changed the rules in 94 to allow only pork butt in the pork catagory. They had to many complants because the Three Little Pigs won the pork catagory to many times.

World Champion Smoked Pork Tenderloin

INGREDIENTS:
2 pork tenderloin
6 Slices of Bacon
1 Bottle of Three Little Pigs Competition BBQ Sauce

Spice Rub
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
2 1/2 Tbsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Bag brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger

PREPARATION:
Mix all ingredients together for the spice rub. Generously cover trimmed pork
tenderloin with spice rub and then wrap the tenderloins in the bacon strips and then pack the tenderloins in the brown sugar in either a zip lock plastic bag or a ½ pan catering tin overnight. Place the tenderloins at the Good-One Smoker, cook at 250 degrees while adding 2 small chunks of Wild Cherry flavor wood. Remove from smoker when 155 degrees is reached internal and let sit for 10 minutes, and then glaze with Three Little Pig Competition BBQ Sauce.

IMO, they shouldn't have changed the rules. Everyone else should have stepped up their game. It's like the fellas I play golf with say: If you wanna win the money more...play better.

Okay, 2 tenderloins? I didn't buy these when I was living in the States and they don't package them here. I take it is a smaller portion of the loin and sold in pairs? Could someone tell me the weight, roughly? We can get pork loin here, but nothing labeled as "tenderloin" so after discounting for fat if any, how much should I buy to try this?

Oh, and what does the 3 Pigs barbecue sauce taste like? Is it in the KC school of taste, sort of thick, tangy, but sweet tomato based sauce?

Last edited:
OK, am I missing something here?

"Mix all ingredients together for the spice rub. Generously cover trimmed pork
tenderloin with spice rub and then wrap the tenderloins in the bacon strips and then pack the tenderloins in the brown sugar in either a zip lock plastic bag or a ½ pan catering tin overnight."

Spice rub ingredients:

Spice Rub
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
2 1/2 Tbsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Bag brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger

So you mix about 5 Tbsp. of spices with an entire bag of brown sugar, and then put the bacon-wrapped, rubbed tenderloins into a bag of brown sugar? That seems like a lot of brown sugar. I'm guessing it should be to mix just the garlic, pepper, salt & ginger together and rub, and then put the wrapped & rubbed tenderloins into a bag of brown sugar?

Sorry, if I'm being too literal here but it does say to mix all the ingredients for the spice rub (a bag of brown sugar being one of those ingredients). Thanks in advance for the clarification.

after the loin is rubbed down and wrapped in bacon, ya completely cover the bacon wrapped loin in the brown sugar and then wrap tight for an overnight rest. Sometimes Chris thinks faster than he types!!

Thanks, Chris. Just to make sure we're on the same page - no brown sugar in the rub, correct? Just garlic powder, black pepper, salt & ginger?

Thanks again.

This sounds great, as a newbie to all this, approximately how long for the pork to get to 155 degrees so I'm not opening the smoker too frequently?

Okay, 2 tenderloins? I didn't buy these when I was living in the States and they don't package them here. I take it is a smaller portion of the loin and sold in pairs? Could someone tell me the weight, roughly? We can get pork loin here, but nothing labeled as "tenderloin" so after discounting for fat if any, how much should I buy to try this?

Pork LOIN is the meat you find somewhat above (ie: outside of the rib cage--the "baby back ribs"--and looks like a traditional roast. Ribs can be left attached or cut off (as in "boneless"). It is usually sold in 3-4 pound pkg but can be bigger/smaller. A whole pork loin can be 10-12 lb and about 18" long. There will be some/a lot (depending on how the butcher trimmed it or if it's really low priced, a lot :( ) hard white fat (similar to what you find on beef steaks) on the convex side. None on the concave (where the ribs were/are attached) side.

Think of normal pork chops. They are usually called sirloin end (where a large bone is--upper end of leg??sternum?? don't know what it connects to but is somewhat flattish and a son-of-a-gun to cut out of the mean when you get a whole side) and rib end (just rib bone(s) . This pic is of the rib end chop.

Pork_chops_served.jpg

You'll usually have a rib bone attached. The pork loin is where that chop is cut from (generally).

Pork TENDERLOIN is on the INSIDE of the baby backs and is only attached to the inside of the ribs by a thin membrane. A child could pull the tenderloin away from the rib cage. No knife required. Again, size varies but 2-3 lb. and is usually sold in packs of two. It looks like a long somewhat fat sausage. Absolutely no fat anywhere to be found on this.

Here's a pic of tenderloin:
800px-Poledwiczka_wieprzowa.JPG

Two per pig. :D

Tenderloin and loin are two distinct and separate parts of the pig. You don't get one by cutting the other.

Last edited:
Soooooooooo, does one leave all of the brown sugar on the loin when placed on the smoker? Seems like it would be candied loin with a big coating of sugar? Or does one shake off the sugar so that it more like a rub on the loin?

Tried this today. First off, when I made the rub I was somewhat surprised at the simple rub and thought not much to that. Wrapped in bacon and then coated with brown sugar and put in the fridge for 24 or so. Slapped her on the smoker with the cherry wood in the 250 range and several hours later hit the 250 and applied a glaze for the last little bit as I prefer glazing on the fire. Let her set for about 10 minutes and sliced it up. It was very tender, but isn't all pork tenderloin? Three of us ate it, wife and one child who came over to join us. General opinion was good, but nothing to rave about. I give it a 7 on the 1-10 scale. Most of the flavor came from the sauce and not the cooking, smoke or the rub. I put it in my never do again category. I only hope the pig team did it better, how I do not know, as if this dish is banned, then I need to enter the competition cooking world.....................

I realize this is a necro post from almost a year ago's necro, but I made this recipe over the weekend and it was fantastic. I didn't have time to let it sit overnight so both were packed in about a half bag of light brown sugar for about 6 hours. After that I cooked at about 275-300 (I messed up lighting too many coals and couldn't get the temp back down), but it cooked in a couple hours and came out wonderfully. I unwrapped the bacon and put it onto a foil-lined pan and cooked in the oven at 400F for about 20 minutes to get it crisped up and turned it once. The bacon was like candy and having bites of that with the pork was delicious.

I gave this a try yesterday. I thought maybe the guy that said he would probably not try this again didn't like it because he said he took it off when it hit 250. I bet that was probably a typo though.
It came out pretty good. But i agree something is definitely missing as far as being so good the American Royal would ban it. I took it off my WSM right when it hit 155. Only took a couple hours. In my opinion,it's a huge waste of brown sugar. While I use foil in my dry water pan,there is always a seam. That brown sugar got through the seam and stuck to my water pan like melted plastic,and oven cleaner isn't even taking it off. When the tenderloin starts warming up,all that brown sugar just starts melting off. I was afraid it would be too sweet following the directions,but the brown sugar taste is not that strong. It could use more.
I am not going to say I won't do it again. If I do,i will probably put pineapple under the bacon wrap. I sure wont let it sit overnight caked in brown sugar. What I might do is pull it off at say 120,and wrap it in foil,then adding brown sugar.
It is kind of a lot of work wrapping the tenderloin in bacon,and pineapple would add more work. The bacon sure is good though. It certainly is a candidate,if you want to do something quick. I cooked at 250,and took it off at 155,and it only took a couple hours.

Back