How Windy is Too Windy?

JasonJ

The wind blows a lot where I live. A lot a lot. For instance, here's the forecast for this weekend from the NWS.

A PACIFIC STORM SYSTEM WILL STRENGTHEN ON FRIDAY...CREATING VERY
STRONG WEST TO SOUTHWESTERLY SURFACE WINDS FRIDAY AND SATURDAY.
SUSTAINED WIND SPEEDS OF 30 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS TO NEAR 60 MPH
COULD OCCUR. AS A RESULT...LOCALIZED BLOWING DUST MAY REDUCE
VISIBILITIES ESPECIALLY NEAR OPEN FIELDS. ADDITIONALLY... STRONG
WINDS COMBINED WITH MODERATELY LOW RELATIVE HUMIDITY VALUES...WILL
AID IN EXTREME FIRE WEATHER DANGER.

It seems to happen like this on weekends and then of course Monday it turns off like a faucet. So how much protection can a wind screen like a 55 gallon drum give?

Or is it even worth messing with when it gets like this?

Gee, that is windy. where do you live?
But yes, even a little wind can be a problem if you don't have a proper windbreak. With winds like that, you'll need a complete, four-sided break to make it worth your while smoking.
let us know how it turns out.
best wishes.

I live in the Texas panhandle. It blows like this quite often - that's why I was looking at the 55 gallon drum option. Figured with it being a circle around the WSM that it would give a little more protection.

However, didn't know if it was even worth trying in that kind of weather.

Man oh man, I'd consider building a smokehouse (a large doghouse-like building) to house the WSM.

That's nice....
My thought was: driving down country roads, you'll see little "houses" near roadside where children wait for their school buses in the dead of winter. Shrink one of those "houses" to fit a WSM complete with a window, a hinged door, and a hooded, vented chimney to exhaust all the smoke.
Think I'll draw up something and dream some more
icon_razz.gif

Back