Herbed Rotisserie Chicken

John Sp

TVWBB All-Star
Hello All,

For the maiden voyage on my new rotisserie attachment, I decided to make an herbed chicken using a compound butter. The results were fantastic and the family was pleased with the outcome. Sorry for the lack of pictures - I was time compressed and hadn't found this site yet...

Compound Butter:
1 stick butter, partially softened
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 leaves fresh basil, chopped
20 leaves fresh oregano, chopped
zest of 1 lemon

Chicken:
1 whole fryer 4-5 lb
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs Italian Seasoning
Garlic Salt (to taste)
Ground Black Pepper (to taste)

Prepare the compound butter by mixing the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and pulsing until completely married. Form the mixed butter into a log about 1" in diameter, wrap in waxed paper, and store in the fridge until required.

Prepare the chicken by brining it in your favorite brine (I use salt, brown sugar, black pepper corns, and garlic in water). After brining, rinse inside and out with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Gently separate the skin from the breast and thigh meat by running your fingers under the skin to create pockets. Slice pats of the compound butter and slide them into the pockets put two on each breast and one on each thigh. Truss the bird using butcher's twine. Rub the outside of the bird with olive oil and sprinkle with the garlic salt, Italian seasoning, and black pepper. Cook on the rotisserie (indirect coals) for about an hour until the internal temperature of the thigh reaches 170 degrees F. Tent and allow to rest for about 10 minutes before carving for service.

Notes:

1) This recipe could easily be adapted for the grill grate if you don't use a rotisserie. I would spatchcock the bird prior to brining. I would give it about 5 - 10 minutes skin side down over direct coals to brown the skin and then move it skin side up over indirect coals for the remainder of the cooking time.

2) Compound butters can be used for a variety of grilling or other recipes and can be frozen for several months (this one with raw garlic should probably be used only in applications that will be cooked).

I hope yo uenjoy this as much as we did...

Update - With Pictures

Hello All,

My family enjoyed this recipe so much they asked me to make it again. This time around I took pictures. The recipe appears in my original post. This one was even better. I caught the kids picking over the carcass right after dinner...

Regards,

John

Brined Bird with Compound Butter in "Pockets
"

Ready for the Spit - EVOO, Garlic Salt, Italian Seasoning, & Lemon Pepper

Mid Cook - Indirect Coals - Wide Open

Ready to Rest - 170 deg F Internal Thighs

Plated with Garlic Herb Carrots and Baked Potato

Back