Serial problems on a Version 4

John Bostwick

TVWBB Wizard
Im having problems with the serial port on version 4. I recieved the router this morning and soldered a header to the serial, and then flashed it to linkmeter, all was good.

I connected the heatermeter(button board, lcd) and was able to see it on the router just fine and was able to make adjustment to the pit temp.

Next I was going to set it up as a client for the main router, and the serial port stopped sending info to the heatermeter and I dont see the version number or the setting links for changing the heatermeters settings. But I do get infor from the heatermeter and it displays as normal on the graph. I just cant change anything from the computer.

This is the 2nd V4 that i have had that has had this problem.

I have yet to try a slower baud rate, will try this weekend, but it worked once, so im not sure if this will help.

On the other v4 i tried to change it to the other serial port and that did not work, either.

If I cant get this to work, I have a question which other version has the smaller board(L shape). I know version 1.1 does are there others that have te L-shaped board.

And I also have another Question.

Could this be related to the Atmega chip I used, I used the Duemilanove bootloader 328 chip instead of a Uno boatloader chip

Atleast I have one good working router that works everytime, Im just trying to get another heatermeter ready to sell to a good friend and im running out of routers, lol.

Thanks

Before you try changing the serial baud, maybe try this. ssh into the router and edit /usr/lib/lua/luci/lucid/linkmeterd.lua and look for this stty command around line 259:
Code:
if os.execute("/bin/stty -F " .. SERIAL_DEVICE .. " sane " .. SERIAL_BAUD) ~= 0 then
change where it says " sane " to " raw -echo " ("space 'raw' space minus 'echo' space") save it and restart the linkmeter with `/etc/init.d/lucid restart`

The bootloader shouldn't matter other than for updating the HeaterMeter with hmdude.

Before you try changing the serial baud, maybe try this. ssh into the router and edit /usr/lib/lua/luci/lucid/linkmeterd.lua and look for this stty command around line 259:
Code:
if os.execute("/bin/stty -F " .. SERIAL_DEVICE .. " sane " .. SERIAL_BAUD) ~= 0 then
change where it says " sane " to " raw -echo " ("space 'raw' space minus 'echo' space") save it and restart the linkmeter with `/etc/init.d/lucid restart`

The bootloader shouldn't matter other than for updating the HeaterMeter with hmdude.

Well, I tried this this morning and still nothing. Whats odd is that the more I try to get it to work the less it works. Now, I don't even get heatermeter updates on the webpage, its as if its not even connected to the serial port. The other Version 4 wrt54g did the same thing. So i guess ill get another v3.1or earlier

I soldered the header to the v2.2 and then flashed it today.

At first I was having no serial info being transmitted and I tried the

if os.execute("/bin/stty -F " .. SERIAL_DEVICE .. " raw -echo " .. SERIAL_BAUD) ~= 0 then

That did not work, so I reverted back to what was there prior

I then put my meter on the TX and RX and on each they where staying at a steady 3.3 volts, which I found kinda odd that they were both high and did not change even when I tried to send info through the serial.

Then all of a sudden the voltage started to change, I think I accidently shorted the 3.3V to the TX line. I lefted it for a while and came back and I noticed I had info on the webpage from the heatermeter :cool:

Its working and I stuffed everything into the case and its still working, which is good considering how tight the fit is inside the case.

haha oh the craziness. I have no idea what makes them stop working or not work at all from the get-go. There's gotta be some logic to this, but I'm glad you got it working and I hope it stays working! I wonder if the -echo change requires a power-off reboot in order to work too?

Back