Does the SJG Still Have 2 Bottom Vents?

R. Hutchins

TVWBB Fan
I built a mini-WSM on a SJS that I've had for years. After cooking with it for several months, I'm thinking about building another one, but this time I want to use a SJG. I followed Chris' link to Amazon and looked at the SJ Gold pics and the information provide and even viewed the assembly instructions. Nowhere in the process did I see reference to the bottom air vents. The illustration showed the vent in the lid and how to install it, but no reference to the bottom vents.

So, I went to the Weber web site and looked up the SJG. No mention of the bottom air vents . . . anywhere that I could find.

All the pics I see of the SJG present a view that shows NO bottom air vents. I also noticed that the ash-catcher saucer is missing from the SJG. The only feature that I could see that differentiates it from the silver is the handle bail which also doubles as a lid holder.

What am I missing here?

It seems to me that the chief advantage and biggest feature of the gold over the silver is those 2 bottom air vents, yet there is no picture of them or reference to them in the advertising.

Have they changed the product? If they have eliminated the 2 bottom air vents, why would anyone pay the higher price - or buy one at all?

Sign me 'puzzled'

The SJG vents are on the sides where the handle goes into the bowl. They are not round like normal Weber vents but rectangles.

40020%284%29_lg.jpg

Walter

Last edited:
If you go to the Weber site and look at the features you can see the vents on the side. They don't mention it as a feature but the photo showing the "convenient lid holder" and "plated steel cooking grate" shows the side vents.

The ash-catcher saucer is not required because the ash is contained in the bottom of the bowl much like a WSM which I believe is part of the reason it is better suited for the mini WSM mod.

I also believe the side vents make it better suited for the mini WSM mod with a charcoal basket. A silver doesn't require the basket but does require a cover for the vent in my opinion.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information.

I saw those holes in the sides of the pot but thought they were only for attaching the bail. I didn't realize that they rotated to let air in.

Didn't the old SJG have two vents like the SJS in the pot for air control?

I KNOW I've seen them that way, in fact, I've got my eye on one on cl.

Back