Gyros, a greek tradition, recipie according to Jack_the_Ribber Grillsportverein.de

tranabo_bjoern

TVWBB Member
This week I try a new recipie and my rotisserie for my Q300 grill. The grill with the rotisserie inserted looks like this

IMG_0836.JPG

Saturday morning I prepared the Gyros and let the meat in the fridge over night.

IMG_0835.JPG

The meat slices have been folded and then put on the rotisserie.

IMG_0837.JPG

After about 90 mins I stopped the roti, cut with a sharp knife some meat, then rotated again, cut some more.....

IMG_0842.JPG

I have one more portion for tomorrow evening. The meat was so tender like in heaven.

The recipie was taken from grillsportverein.de from Jack_the_ribber.

Since I cannot use my WSM for a while since we work on the exterior of our house, I need an alternative.

It was the first use of the rotisserie on the Q300 and it works just fine.

Is it possible to post a direct link to this recipe? It really looks good. I looked on the grillsportverein.de website, but not sure if I located the correct recipe. Is it the one named: GyrosFleisch vom Drehgrill?

Good morning,

here comes the recipie:

The day before grilling

Take 3 pounds (1.6 Kg) for about 5 people, sliced in about 1/3rd inch thick.

Prepare the "brine" as follows:

- 3 Tsp Mustard seed
- 3 Tsp ground cilantro (coriander)
- 3 Tsp black pepper
- 2 Tsp tyme dried
- 2 Tsp chilii flakes

Ground this in a motar.

add

- 4 Tsp kosher sea salt
- 2 Tsp cumin grounded
- 2 Tsp majoran, dried
- 3 Tsp oregano, dried
- 2 Tsp paprika, hot
- 1 Tsp onion powder
- Little cinnemon
- 500g yoghurt
- 200ml olive oile

Put all this in the youghurt and the oil, stir well.

Ground one large onion, press two garlic cloves. Stir well.

Put the meat slices in with the mixture on both sides in a bowl. Cover well and let rest in the fridge over night.

Next day:

Fold the meat slices into halves and pu them on the spit. Start with a very large onion, then the meat. Continue until all meat is on and finish with the second halv of the onoin. Press the meat firmly between the two onion halves.

Pre-heat your grill with two charcoal baskets halv full. Temperature about 350-400 deg F.

Discard the brine.

Put the meat on the grill. Please a pan under the meat to catch the fat and later the falling down meat after cutting.

After about 90 mins, you can start cutting from the outer pieces. Take the pieces from the pan. Let the spit spin. Everybody can walk over to the BBQ and cut what he/she desires to have. Its fun. Self-serving dish ;)

Serve with fresh greek salad, serve with rice or white bread. You can also cut the breat and fill the meat and salad in.

Some nice red wine matches well.

Jamas!

Recipie taken from Grillsportverein.de, Jack_the_ribber

Back