weeknight quickies (~30min) - cookbook or recipe suggestions

Thin cuts/meat like chops/burgers/kebobs/flanks/fish/chrimps cooks up fast but the best thing is if you can decide 1 day ahead and let it marinade during the night.

And for inspiration look at this "grilling" section and dont forget older threads in here.

I know i dident really helped you with this response but i get all my inspiration from looking around here.

For most weeknights, I use my Genesis to grill up something.

I buy a whole tenderloin, cut it up, and freeze it in 2-packs (the trimmings make EXCELLENT chili, another weeknight covered). I also buy big bags of frozen shrimp. We keep compound butter made up in a wax paper roll.

The night before I plan to grill I mix up some marinade and throw about 24 shrimp in it to sit overnight in the refrigerator along with a pack of frozen steaks. This takes about 5 minutes.

The following evening, I take the steaks out to season them and let them warm up while I place the shrimp on their skewers. This takes maybe ten minutes. Once everything is prepared, I head out to grill and the wife fixes up a side (garlic mashed potatoes or something like that). Fifteen minutes later, I walk in with shrimp and steak and we fix our plates while the steaks rest with a pat of butter on top. By the time you pour yourself a drink and sit down, your steak is perfectly rested and ready to eat.

So there's way to do a steakhouse quality surf 'n turf dinner on a busy weeknight in just about thirty minutes with very little prep time.

Either of these recipes can be made with boneless, skinless chicken breasts, flattened to about 1/2 inch. With chicken, I put it directly on the grill rather than use the griddle.

Serve with a side of pasta with a basil pesto sauce (recipe at end) and roasted vegetables, something in season.

Marinated Grilled Shrimp
allrecipes.com

Servings/Yield
6 servings

Time
- Prep: 15 Minutes
- Inactive: 30 Minutes
- Cook: 6 Minutes

Ingredients
2 pounds shrimp, large (25-30 count), peeled, deveined, tails on
3 cloves garlic, minced
? cup olive oil
¼ cup tomato sauce
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons basil, chopped
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne
bamboo skewers, (see note)

Method
1. In a large bowl, stir together the garlic, olive oil, tomato sauce, and red wine vinegar. Season with basil, salt, and cayenne pepper. Add shrimp to the bowl, and stir until evenly coated. Cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour, stirring once or twice.
2. Preheat grill for medium heat. Thread shrimp onto skewers, piercing once near the tail and once near the head. Discard marinade.
3. Lightly oil grill grate. Cook shrimp on preheated grill for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until opaque.

Notes
I don't skewer the shrimp. Instead I cook them on a Weber flat cast iron griddle on my Genesis. The griddle is preheated to max with the lid closed. When the shrimp go on, I leave the lid up and cut the heat to medium.

Tequila Lime Grilled Shrimp
Steve Cutchen

Servings/Yield
6 servings

Time
- Prep: 10 Minutes
- Inactive: 30 Minutes
- Cook: 6 Minutes

Ingredients
2 pounds shrimp, large (25-30 count), peeled, deveined, tails on
2 limes, zested and juiced
2 ounces frozen limeade concentrate, (recommended: Minutemaid)
¼ cup tequila
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 shallots, finely chopped (1 big bulb; more than 1 shallot usually comes in a bulb...)
1 teaspoons cumin
¼ teaspoon cayenne
¼ cup cilantro, chopped (a small handful)
1 jalapeno, seeds and membranes removed, chopped. See note.
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
salt
black pepper
½ cup vegetable oil
1 lime, sliced, for garnish

Method
Again, I use my cast iron griddle on my Genesis

To prepare the marinade: Whisk together the lime juice, tequila, garlic, shallots, cumin, cayenne, cilantro, jalapeno, salt, and pepper. Slowly add the vegetable oil, whisking until combined. Taste for seasoning.

Reserve 1/2 cup of the virgin marinade for serving.

Put the shrimp and remaining marinade into a bowl or zip bag and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.

Preheat cooking-sprayed grill pan to very hot. Working quickly, place shrimp on the grill pan. Cook about 3 minutes, then flip. Dab each shrimp with a bit of marinade. If the grill pan is in a grill, close the lid at this point. Cook an additional 3 minutes or until shrimp is done. Remove to the platter and cover with foil to keep warm.

Serve with melted butter and/or reserved clean marinade.

Notes
Based on recipe from http://www.culinarycafe.com/Se...ila_Lime_Shrimp.html

In place of the jalapeno, consider reconstituted guajillo chile.

Basil Pesto
Anne Slitter, Montgomery, Alabama : Southern Living Favorites

Servings/Yield
1 cup

Time
- Prep: 5 Minutes

Ingredients
2 cup basil, loosely packed
½ cup Parmesan, shredded
½ cup pine nuts, toasted
½ cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic
¼ teaspoon salt

Method
Process fresh basil leaves and remaining ingredients in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Store pesto in refrigerator up to 5 days.

I find myself in this situation often.....one of my absolutely favorite 15 minute meals is as follows.

1 Can of Tomato Soup
1 Can of Water
1 Frozen Salmon Fillet (always keep fish in the house)
Season with garlic, onion, basil, salt and pepper.
Pouch the fish until it's tender, then break up into the soup and add parmesean cheese to the top. Have with a little baguette or croutons on top too!

Or I'll open up a can of either black beans, kidney beans, etc, add onions, garlic, tomatoes or Rotel and whatever meat we have leftover if any and simmer for a couple minutes for a adhoc chili.

Thanks folks - will search around the forum some more too... Tonight the old standby - hamburgers which both the little ones seem to enjoy more than hot dogs - go figure.
icon_rolleyes.gif

My favorite quick weekday recipe:

Before leaving the office check online flyers for local grocery stores to see what steaks they have on sale. I drive past 5 stores on my way home so I have a lot of options.

Stop on the way home and buy some steaks.

When arriving home go light the grill first thing.

Take steaks inside and sprinkle with Montreal seasoning.

Grill steaks on direct heat. Grocery store steaks are usually thin so they cook in just 6-8 minutes to medium doneness.

Let steaks rest while I find something to eat as a side. Usually there are some leftover sides in the fridge or at least chips in the pantry.

Eat steaks.

You asked for quick, this is about as quick and easy as grilling gets. Next time I do this I'm going to add quartered yukons, Lampe style.

I have two kids that are 5 & 6 years old. One of our favorite meals is a flat Iron steak. Before I go to work I combine garlic cloves, grated ginger, plain granulated sugar, and soy sauce. I have a stick blender that I LOVE with a mini blender cup attachment. Drop it all in there and blend it up. Then put the steak and the marinade in a freezer bag and put it in the fridge.

Maybe reserve a little bit to pour over the steak when you plate it.

When you get home.. get your grill hot and cook it 7.5 minutes on both sides. My kids LOVE it. I cook up some yakisoba noodles to serve with it, but you can do any side that you like.

Back