Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: S.J. Silver/Gold Mini WSM Smoker: Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by KevinUnruh View Post
    not a jets fan but that sticker looks awesome, lines came off really clean kinda sad mine is already painted good work!
    Thanks Kevin.

PS: Did my 2nd Mini smoke friday (5th smoke overall). Baby Rack Ribs 5 hours (2-2-1) with very little maintenance. By far my best results yet.

I mentioned this in another thread, but another reason to go with the Smokey Joe Gold (as opposed to the Silver) is that the Gold has the side vents, and it's simple to hook up a temp controller like a BBQ Guru. Not necessary, perhaps, given the temp stability of the minis, but I do like the ability to monitor the pit and food temps via wifi. The Guru Weber adapter screws right into the side hole (while blocking the other side hole with the tape). The other set of vents can be closed entirely or (what I've been doing) leaving open slightly to get increased airflow for higher temps.

I don't have a SJ silver, but my understanding is that silver has only the bottom vents, so you'd need to drill a side vent to mount the Weber adapter (or any other adapter).

Who is the original creator of the mini WSM? Whoever thought to add a tamale pot to the bottom section of a Smokey Joe is damn near a genius. I would love to shake his hand and thank him for creating a cheap smoker that cranks out meat as good as anything I've ever seen and tasted.
    Weber Spirit E-310, Weber Performer, mini-WSM, and a Weber Smokey Joe

Quote Originally Posted by RCBaughn View Post
    Who is the original creator of the mini WSM?
    As far as the discussion here goes, it kind of starts here. But I can't say for sure who actually did the first one. If it wasn't LDean, it should have been!

Regards,
    Chris

Well I shake his hand through the internet then! Even though my pastrami turned out like leather and my ribs were overcooked and too tender, this thing is amazing and all that was my fault. The thing holds heat amazingly and looks so much nicer than the little cheap Brinkmann ones (Because it's a Weber duh!) I don't think that a full size WSM could do much better really all but holding a lot more meat, and for my uses this little guy holds all I need it too. I am so thankful to have it instead of my electric one now.
    Weber Spirit E-310, Weber Performer, mini-WSM, and a Weber Smokey Joe

TVWBB Fan
    Somehow I missed this topic/section for my first nearly year as a member of this great site. Hoping Santa brings me all the necessary parts to make my mini.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTG, Genesis Silver B, Mini WSM

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_S View Post
    Somehow I missed this topic/section for my first nearly year as a member of this great site. Hoping Santa brings me all the necessary parts to make my mini.
    Brian, I just saw on another thread that you just painted your mini. So how did it come out? I am thinking about doing one

TVWBB Olympian
    kevin s had a thread here earlier http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?1004...ght=tamale+pot
    kevin built a mini wsm out of sheetmetal mimicking the weber mini wsm. michael stumpf was the first to mention that the tamale pot
    would be a good alternative.
    Last edited by George Curtis; 01-01-2013 at 12:10 AM.
    George
    Can't live without spam

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Body View Post
    Brian, I just saw on another thread that you just painted your mini. So how did it come out? I am thinking about doing one
    I'll let you be the judge, I am happy with it. If I had a bit more patience i might have done another coat or just a clear cloat finish of some type.

Last edited by Brian_S; 01-01-2013 at 05:28 AM. Reason: trying to fix picture
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTG, Genesis Silver B, Mini WSM

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_S View Post
    I'll let you be the judge, I am happy with it. If I had a bit more patience i might have done another coat or just a clear cloat finish of some type.

Looks good to me! Whatcha got smoking in there?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast