Clay pot base in place of water pan?

Brian Moriarty

TVWBB All-Star
I saw on the Stoker site a clay pot base used in place of the water pan and did a search here and only found 2 posts regarding its use. With the current interest in the Piedmont pan is the clay pot base even worth trying? Are there any pros/cons on its effectiveness?

Well I've been using one from my third 'que on, I can't see any reason to use anything else. I can 240 at the lid allday long!

I got it at an OSH, based on the size listed in another thread here. I believe it has a "36" stamped in it, it is just slightly smaller than the stock water pan, so you can measure that.

Wal-Mart had a 14" clay base in stock that nests perfectly into the stock water pan. I learned that from a post somewhere on this site.

Works great and cleanup is SO easy.

I've been using one for the last four cooks. Mine is just barely big enough to hang on the supports that the water pan hangs on. But just barely. a good jostle and it would fall I'm sure.

So...combining the best of both worlds I actually sit the clay pot base on top of an empty waterpan (letting the water pan support the flowerpot base) and use it kind of like a Piedmont. I can put rolled up tin foil in the water pan, if I want, but never do. The pocket of air under the flowerpot base acts as an insulation space and if I foil the flowerpot base I can catch drippings and not have to clean the base.

Did my turkey this way over Thanksgiving, holding the temps at a pretty steady 350° despite a cold wind and no welders blanket or anything like that.

I bought the size 36 pot holder and didn't like the fit. I went to my local Half Price Pots and found a glazed one that fit perfectly for $5 more. I've used it for several cooks at both high and low temps with no problems and easy cleanup.

Can anyone describe how the clay base has altered the way they cook? What are the benefits of this clay base? I understand that you use less fuel and keep the temperture high, but do you have any difficulty stabilizing the temp. How long are your cooks? And do you need to add any more fuel?

The clay base acts like sand...it is a heat reservoir and help to even out temperature fluctuation. It will allow the WSM to cook at a higher temperature but you can still cook at 240° if you want.

I cook butts and chuck roasts a little hotter than some but I always have at least half a ring of charcoal left over.

The great thing about the flower pot base is that you get the heat sink, the higher temps (if you want,) a drip pan and easy cleanup, and you can always switch back to water anytime you feel like it. Just lift the clay base off the water pan and fill the water pan with water.

It might...I don't use the lower rack much--although I did do two butts this last labor day and had no problems (one on the lower rack).

But if the clay pot base is placed on top of the empty water pan, there will be a three inch air pocket underneath for insulation that, I think, tends to minimize the radiant heat issue.

I did 2 butts last cook using the clay pot base and had no issues with the one on the bottom rack (and still had about 1/3 ring of charcoal left). Matter of fact, it was eaten just as quickly as the one on the top!

Keep in mind that Rock makes that recommendation in conjunction with his device because the stoker will keep the temp where you set it. Of course, the Guru will do the same as will a very skilled WSM user.

The water in the water pan can only get to around 212 degrees. So, if you have a hot fire the water will absorb much of the excess heat before/while evaporating thereby keeping your pit temp more or less in the BBQ range.

Removing the water removes that safety feature and source of fuel consumption. With the Stoker or Guru one doesn't benefit from the limit that water puts on the temp and does benefit from more efficient fuel consumption (longer between refils or less fuel usage).

I use the clay saucer with my Stoker, but, due to my lack of experience, were I to discontinue use of the Stoker I would be pretty careful about getting rid of the water.

Obviously others are using the clay saucer without a Stoker or Guru. Just understand that in removing the water you'll need to have good technical skill to control your pit temp.

Good point Paul! I have been caught up in mods or plans from the various smokers and grills I'm working on that I've gotten ahead of myself and should learn to use the WSM as it is. That said, I did find an unglazed clay pot base that fits perfectly, and have the parts for a Piedmont pan that may get drilled in the future. I'll just have to try them and see.

Originally posted by Brian Moriarty:
Good point Paul! I have been caught up in mods or plans from the various smokers and grills I'm working on that I've gotten ahead of myself and should learn to use the WSM as it is. That said, I did find an unglazed clay pot base that fits perfectly, and have the parts for a Piedmont pan that may get drilled in the future. I'll just have to try them and see.

Glad I could be of help.

I have used the clay pot sitting on top of the water pan for the last 8 - 10 cooks and love it. I have the water pan and the clay pot foiled. I only have to change out the foil on the top of the clay pot after the cook.

The only difference I see is that I have the vents closed more for low and slow and I do not use as much fuel. Everything has came out great and clean up is real easy. No reason to ever go back to water as I see it.

I could not find the clay pot mentioned. The one I found is a bit bigger but the bottom lip fits perfectly within the waterpan. The problem I have is the clay pot is a tad deep so my lower rack fits on top of the clay dish. Do any of you think this will be a problem when cooking on the bottom grate? Thank you in advance.

Goose

I have used the clay pot nested inside the stock water pan since my second or third smoke. It is a little harder to get the temp stabilized, but as long as you are doing the minion method and adjusting on the way up, it works fine. One other benefit not mentioned above, you don't risk a temp spike because you just ran out of water while you were away/sleeping/watching the game/other attention-grabbing activity.

That is what I am hoping for. My only worry is that my clay pot rises a bit above the normal holders for my lower grill, which is making me have to set my lower grill directly on the rim of the clay pot. Will this hurt the meat on the bottom rack? What do you all think?

Originally posted by Goose Salvadras:
That is what I am hoping for. My only worry is that my clay pot rises a bit above the normal holders for my lower grill, which is making me have to set my lower grill directly on the rim of the clay pot. Will this hurt the meat on the bottom rack? What do you all think?

Although I rarely use the lower grate, I'm sure you'll be fine as long as there is sufficent support for the meat.

Back