Smoked Duck

Matt Bennett

The day after Thanksgiving I found an inexpensive 5 pound duck at the grocery store. After a 5 hour smoke I had a great result. I brined the duck the night before. The duck was placed on a beer can chicken stand and I stuffed it with a whole chopped onion. I poked holes in the skin about every ¼ inch to let the fat melt out. I got the smoker up to 250 and filled the water tray. The duck cooked for 5 hours (I added apple wood chips every hour or so) and I had a fantastic result.

photos

That sounds fantastic. How did the skin come out? The one time I smoked duck, the meat was great, but the skin wasn't good at all.

BTW - I hope you kept the carcass. I used mine to make an incredible smoked duck stock. I used it for soup, and to make this killer gravy that when poured on garlic mashed potatoes, elevated them to a state of near holiness.

Sorry to catch this late Matt. I've done a few ducks on the WSM. The last 45 minutes of smoking, I open up all the vents and get the temps up to 350 or so to crisp up the skin. I hope you put an aluminum drip pan under the duck and saved the fat. It's the best thing ever for frying eggs or potatoes with.

The skin did not come out great but the meat was fantastic. Next time I will keep in mind the heating it up for the last 45 minutes.

Originally posted by DWolf:
That sounds fantastic. How did the skin come out? The one time I smoked duck, the meat was great, but the skin wasn't good at all.

BTW - I hope you kept the carcass. I used mine to make an incredible smoked duck stock. I used it for soup, and to make this killer gravy that when poured on garlic mashed potatoes, elevated them to a state of near holiness.

Smoked duck stock used in gravy for garlic mashed potatoes ?
icon_cool.gif

This is on the to-do list. That sounds incredible.

Mark - it's a definite must do. People near and far will worship you for making this gravy. They will erect statues in your honor.

I have not smoked a duck, but I got good results cooking one on the kettle with a rotisserie.

It's worth a try when you get tired of the usual meats.

Next up is a goose this weekend. Never tried it before.

Back