Alabama GREEN Sauce

Jon Des.

TVWBB Gold Member
Just in time for St. Patty's Day, we hit on a very happy accident. Last night I butchered a whole chicken and reserved the wings and breasts for dinner tonight. They were liberally seasoned with Penzey's Northwoods Fire and bagged up for today, while everything else was cooked down for stock. I called home today and asked Erin to whip up some Alabama White BBQ Sauce. Unfortunately, we were out of horseradish and she didn't discover that until mixing up a few ingredients. Fortunately, we did have Wasabi powder and she substituted a tablespoon each of the powder and water.

ade21dda.jpg

Chicken on the grill. Indirect with apple chips for smoke.

e22c06ff.jpg

Chicken done.

c46d585f.jpg

And plated with saffron rice (using the recipe from the Penzey's catalog) and slaw.

4a97b3ff.jpg

The sauce had a few hours to rest and mellow out, and turned out to be fantastic. I actually prefer it to the original, although I'll warn you that it has some extra bite compared to even very fresh horseradish.

Thanks for looking!

Jon, there actually is a vendor down in these parts that is selling an Alabama white sauce with wasabi. I saw it a couple of weeks ago, but haven't tried it yet. I've heard it is very good, as yours obviously was!

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:
Jon, there actually is a vendor down in these parts that is selling an Alabama white sauce with wasabi. I saw it a couple of weeks ago, but haven't tried it yet. I've heard it is very good, as yours obviously was!

Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's really funny. It really was a nice flavor, although I believe we need to keep Penzey's horseradish powder on hand.

Never tasted a white sauce eather...But i will try one for sure. Brilliant switch to wasabi.

Everything sounds/looks great Jon!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Alabama GREEN Sauce </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<span class="ev_code_GREEN">Color me happy. That looks delicious!</span>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Last night I butchered a whole chicken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Glad you didn't show that part to us Jon!
icon_razz.gif

images

What you did show looks outstanding!

QUESTION:

Would you use this (or any) white sauce on ribs? It just seems so wrong not to use a "red" sauce.

I have seen some references elsewhere to using a white on ribs but I can't seem to find a reference to it on VWB.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Len Dennis:
QUESTION:

Would you use this (or any) white sauce on ribs? It just seems so wrong not to use a "red" sauce.

I have seen some references elsewhere to using a white on ribs but I can't seem to find a reference to it on VWB. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Len -- sorry, just noticed this. I've been out of town and just catching up on TVWB. I don't know that I'd enjoy this sauce on ribs. It's great on some smoked chicken, but I don't think it would be a good match with ribs. Maybe a pork tenderloin or something like that?

OMG, this white sauce I have not tried. It is on my list as soon as possible.
It must taste wonderfully. Beautiful chicken, Jon .

Back