Ideas for what to cook in Turkey fryer besides turkey for tailgate?

Wesley S

TVWBB Super Fan
I wasn't sure where to put this. I searched fryer and most of the results were in this forum. Chris you can move this if deemed necessary.

We're heading to the UVa/VT game saturday and this weeks items are anything that can be cooked in the fryer. This will be an early cook (noon kickoff) so anything breakfast related would be cool. We try to keep things simple. But for now I'm just looking for ideas besides wings.

Thanks!

edit: Here is the list so far

Cheese Sticks
Jalepno Poppers
Buffalo Wings
Corn Dogs
Sausages (brats, kelbasa, sauages with differnent stuff in them)
Breakfast Corn Dogs
Hush Puppies
Shrimp
Doughnuts
Chicken Nuggets / Tenders
Breaded Chicken Fillets
Country Fried Steak (like the steak Mom/Hardees uses for steak biscuits, and a Brian fav)
Onion Rings
Tostino's Pizza Bites
Fruit Filled Pies
Cheese Wontons
Oysters
Scallops

I've seen some groups do a crab boil in them.

Our scout troop also uses a turkey fryer for omelets in a bag. Basically, get REALLY GOOD ziploc freezer bags (don't skimp or they'll break) and crack a couple eggs in them and mix in your favorite omelets fixings. Drop them into boiling water. Give them a couple minutes, pull them out and squish them around in your hands (with gloves) and toss them back in. Cook time varies depending on how much stuff you put in, but they turn out very good. An added bonus is there's no mess to clean up.

Scotch eggs.

They're hard-boiled eggs that are then wrapped in a lay of bulk pork sausage, then breaded, then deep fried. I serve sliced, drizzled with a simple Dijon-mayo-heavy-honey sauce.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Scotch eggs.

They're hard-boiled eggs that are then wrapped in a lay of bulk pork sausage, then breaded, then deep fried. I serve sliced, drizzled with a simple Dijon-mayo-heavy-honey sauce. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds yummy Kevin. What is lay of sausage? Or did you mean a layer of sausage (breakfast sausage?) Forgive me if I sound ignorant here
icon_smile.gif

I'm at work and tired. I thought Kevin said scotch and eggs. I was ready to drive home to try it

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wesley S:

That sounds yummy Kevin. What is lay of sausage? Or did you mean a layer of sausage (breakfast sausage?) Forgive me if I sound ignorant here
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Layer, sorry.

Yes, breakfast sausage, your own or purchased.

I serve sliced, fanned, but:

278217474_b81382f304.jpg

I've never done them in a fry pan--just deep fried or baked. A pan could work but you'd have to be careful.

I figure about 5 or 6 hard=boiled eggs per pound of sausage; some prefer 4/lb.

Have the eggs cold. Season a pile of flour with salt and pepper. Season a larger pile of breadcrumbs with salt and pepper. Beat a couple fresh eggs in a bowl. Split the sausage into equal portions (4,5 or 6, as you wish), then pat on into a flat disk big enough (or so) to encase an egg. Put the sausage patty in one hand, top with the egg, then wrap it and enclose it, making the sausage as even as possible. Roll in the flour, paint with beaten egg, then roll in the breadcrumbs. (If a thicker coating is desired paint with egg again androll in crumbs again.) Repeat with the remaining eggs.

It's often best to allow the egg in the coating to dry a bit before cooking. Allow 10-15 min for this if you can. Not required though but be careful when moving the coated eggs.

Deep fry in 350 oil till nicely golden and the sausage cooked through, about 4-5 min.

Or spray lightly with oil all over, place on an oiled rack over a sheetpan, and bake in a preheated 350 oven, about 215-20 min, spraying with oil, lightly, again, 10 min into baking.

Or, try frying: Put not less than 1/2-inch oil in a pan and heat till quite hot. Fry the eggs, without crowding the pan, turning every couple minutes, till evenly browned, probably 12 min or so total.

I've never heard of them, but dang they look really good.

I think I'll try some at the UCF-UTEP game on saturday. I'll have to bake them on the sjp though.

Whew Hooo!

They're delicious. I used to do them as a brunch item at a place on the Beach in the mid-80s. Few knew what they were but the waiters loved them so would push them. Sold lots.

I used to make the breakfast sausage out of ground pork butt with white and green pepper, sage, thyme, ginger, allspice, and ground crushed red but any good quality breakfast sausage works.

A butter sauce with some Dijon is typical but I prefer something creamier with a little sweetness. I often did something like 2 parts mayo, 1 part heavy cream, .5-1 part Dijon, a little honey to taste, plus a pinch of salt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
I've never done them in a fry pan--just deep fried or baked. A pan could work but you'd have to be careful.

I figure about 5 or 6 hard=boiled eggs per pound of sausage; some prefer 4/lb.

Have the eggs cold. Season a pile of flour with salt and pepper. Season a larger pile of breadcrumbs with salt and pepper. Beat a couple fresh eggs in a bowl. Split the sausage into equal portions (4,5 or 6, as you wish), then pat on into a flat disk big enough (or so) to encase an egg. Put the sausage patty in one hand, top with the egg, then wrap it and enclose it, making the sausage as even as possible. Roll in the flour, paint with beaten egg, then roll in the breadcrumbs. (If a thicker coating is desired paint with egg again androll in crumbs again.) Repeat with the remaining eggs.

It's often best to allow the egg in the coating to dry a bit before cooking. Allow 10-15 min for this if you can. Not required though but be careful when moving the coated eggs.

Deep fry in 350 oil till nicely golden and the sausage cooked through, about 4-5 min.

Or spray lightly with oil all over, place on an oiled rack over a sheetpan, and bake in a preheated 350 oven, about 215-20 min, spraying with oil, lightly, again, 10 min into baking.

Or, try frying: Put not less than 1/2-inch oil in a pan and heat till quite hot. Fry the eggs, without crowding the pan, turning every couple minutes, till evenly browned, probably 12 min or so total. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I signed up for this for the tailgate. Our head organizer emailed me and said (Eggs, sausage...deep fried. Whats not to love?).

I do have one question. We're leaving at 6:00am to hopefully be setting up by 7:00am. If I make these the night before is there anything of concern as long as I refigerate?

I've done scotch eggs. I found that if you roll the hard boiled egg in a little flour first the sausage sticks better to the egg. Then proceed with rest of the recipe.

Tony--

You're right. I neglected to include that step.

Wesley--

Do you mean prepping them the night before then cooking on site? If so, yes, keeping cold is a thing--and so is protecting each egg so that the coating is protected. Wrap each egg in a paper towel and pack them in someting so that they son't move around, padding the spaces with additional crumpled paper towel.

Back