Grilled Peaches

James Tucker

TVWBB Fan
I've grilled pineapple before but I've never grilled peaches. I don't know if I even did the pineapple right I just sliced a fresh one fairly thick and tossed it on the grill for a couple of minutes both sides. I was wondering if there is a special technique for grilled fruit especially peaches as I want to try them tonight.

Don't mean to be impatient but the chicken just went on the rotis should be done in about 1 1/2 so was still looking for help on dessert/ grilled peaches. Anyone?

Skin/peel peaches and cut peaches in half and remove the pit. Mix up some cinnamon and sugar spinkle on the peaches and grill for 4-6 min per side over med coals. This is the only way i know to do them.

I do them like Bryan notes and they're very good. I also do them halved, pitted, and skin-on. Oil the grill lightly; grill flesh down till caramelized, about 4-6 min over moderate heat. Flip and paint with a syrup; grill 2-3 more minutes.

For syrups: pure maple mixed with a little butter; butter/brown sugar/cinnanon/pinch allspice; balsamic reduced with sugar and pepper; off-dry Chardonnay reduced with sugar and white wine vinegar.

Serve as-is, with vanilla ice cream, or grill some pound cake alongside, flip, paint with melted butter and grill 2-3 more minutes. Serve a peach half or two atop the pound cake. Nice with fresh or grilled strawberries as well.

Sorry I'm late with this.

I do Raichlens grilled peaches----slice 'em in half, take the pit out, and halve them again (you've got quarters now). Stick two quarters on a cinammon stick, with a mint leaf skewered inbetween 'em. Grill skin side down until you get nice grill marks, then flip 'em and grill the back side. Once you've flipped them the first time, baste them with a mixture of melted butter, dark rum, and brown sugar. Great stuff! Especially over ice cream (we actually ate ours with cheesecake tho). Grilled bananas are outstanding, too, as are grilled strawberries.

Thanks folks I didn't mean to be pushy I was just panicking a bit as time was running out for me. I ended up just grilling some fresh pineapple and all was fine.
I will definately try out your recipes though as I need to start broadining my menu a bit and I think a healthy desert is a great place to start. Something sweet is always a nice way to finish off a meal, and as long as I can cook it on the grill or WSM I am happy.

Susan,
Strawberries are fresh now, peaches from South Carolina are here, so this is a good time for me to do the fruit. I have NEVER seen, heard of anyone grilling strawberries and would love to see your recipe for them.

I think I see a good homemade icecream on my grilled peach.
icon_wink.gif

Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
I do them like Bryan notes and they're very good. I also do them halved, pitted, and skin-on. Oil the grill lightly; grill flesh down till caramelized, about 4-6 min over moderate heat. Flip and paint with a syrup; grill 2-3 more minutes.

For syrups: pure maple mixed with a little butter; butter/brown sugar/cinnanon/pinch allspice; balsamic reduced with sugar and pepper; off-dry Chardonnay reduced with sugar and white wine vinegar.

Serve as-is, with vanilla ice cream, or grill some pound cake alongside, flip, paint with melted butter and grill 2-3 more minutes. Serve a peach half or two atop the pound cake. Nice with fresh or grilled strawberries as well.

Sorry I'm late with this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kev,
I'm doing these peaches this afternoon.
Do you have a method of quickly softening not-quite-perfectly-ripe peaches?
The only ones they had at the store were a little hard.
I'm thinking something like a few seconds in the microwave...?

Cooking them by any method will make them softer (how soft depends on cooking method/duration) but will not make them riper/sweeter.

If when you smell them now they have a peach aroma you can do one of a few things: Peel them and poach them in a simple syrup (sugar and water; sugar, water and a vinegar; sugar and wine, etc., spiced or not) till cooked through; peel them and slice or chunk them and skewer them, grill over moderate heat, basting with one of the syrups (include some butter in it); or peel them and grate them, cook them in a little butter till soft then add to a Q sauce.

If when you smell them now they are not peach-y they will not become peach-y during cooking (and possibly won't become peach-y at all).

Here, however, is something you can do with hard peaches:

Unripe Peach Slaw

4-5 unripe peaches, peeled, sliced thinly (avoiding the pit), then cut in a julienne

1/2 c plain yogurt

2-3 t honey (start with 2)

2 T fresh lemon juice

1/4 t ground ginger (or a little freshly grated)

pinch ground allspice

salt and pepper to taste

Combine all and fridge for several hours or overnight.

James.. you're approach to the pineapple is the same as I've used for years and it works fine

For peaches, the key is to use freestone ones that are just BARELY underripe. Dont use rock hard ones but dont use ones that are really soft either. I split them in half, remove the pit of course, and put a little bit of butter on them before putting them cut side down on a medium grill.

After their well marked move to a cooler part of the grill and cook for 3 mins. max.

Back