When do you put glaze on?

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
I just saw a video on how to make Grilled Raspberry Glazed Chicken Breasts. She put the glaze on the chicken immediately after putting it on the grill at medium heat. The finished product looked good but I thought you are supposed to glaze at the end for only a couple of minutes. Will the glaze burn if put on too early? The glaze was 1/2 cup raspberry Jam and about 1 Tbls. yellow mustard.

I would glaze just before pulling the meat off. A glaze that contains 50% jam, will have a lot of sugar in it and could burn depending on the cook temps. Sugar burns around 350. I don't see any benefits of glazing something right after putting it on the grill. To me, a glaze finishes a meat and does not need time to cook into it.

Paul

Agreed.

Were the breasts b/s? If so, they do not take long to cook if cooked direct. After cooking one side and flipping the glaze could go on because one would be looking at only a couple or three minutes more--tops--before the breasts would be done.

The breasts were boneless. She put the chicken on then glazed the top. After a few minutes she flipped them and glazed the the top again and cooked until done. As I said it looked good but I couldn't see the bottom of the chicken.

It's easiest, imo, to cook the one side first--get your grill marks on there if that sort of thing is desired--then flip and glaze the grill-marked side. Imo, the other side need not be glazed as it isn;t seen (and it's not like b/s breasts are so thick that one needs to glaze both sides) but if you want to you can glaze the second side just before the brestas are done, flipping, glazing quickly, then flipping back again for a minute or so, til the breasts are done and the new glaze has seized. That happens fast.

Back