Guru fan with a Stoker

BGNelson

I have tried to search this and I apologize if this has already been answered.

I have a Guru system with adapters for the fans on my smoker. I am thinking of buying a Stoker and my question is – can I use my Guru fans with adapters with the Stoker or do I have to use the Stoker fans? If this is not possible then it might be easier to go with the new CyberQII.

I am using a Guru fan attach with my Stoker. I like the Guru connect/disconnect for their fan. However, the Stoker fan attach is technically better, as it uses all three holes of the vent to provide air, while the Guru uses only one, and that one vent hole will limit the amount of air you can push through.

I don't remember for sure, but I think the Guru fan is a 12V fan, and the Stoker fan is 5V, so you can't directly use the Guru fan. You can easily install the Stoker fan in place of the Guru fan though. I didn't personally do mine, but asked a tech at work to do it. He said it was trivial to do, he may have had to drill a hole or something, but was quite simple.

I can't maintain high temps above about 325 or 350F with the Stoker fan on the Guru fan adapter. I don't know if I could or not with the Stoker fan setup, or with the 10 cfm Guru fan. So I do believe the Guru fan adapter does severely limit the air. But I do like the convenience, and have been too lazy to change it back.

An alternative is to use a 5V to 12V voltage converter to use the Guru fan directly. I actually got one from the Stoker guy (he's just about 10 miles away), but never bothered to hook it up and try it. It's a tiny little module that you could glue onto the side of the Guru fan, and then attach the probe wires from the Stoker fan control.

-gbeck

As Gary mentioned, the stoker is a 5 volt system wheras the Guru is 12 volt. The Stoker system also has a small chip in the 1/4 inch plug that gives the blower a unique ID to the stoker's software. Even if you could find another 5 volt blower you'd need to wire up the circuit with the chip.

I was told last weekend at Roc City that the stoker blower is in fact a 12 volt fan that has an on board 5 to 12 volt converter. I find this hard to believe but he said he opened it up and saw it. Regardless, you would need to still wire up the ID chip.

If you've read the discussions in this group you would realize that Stoker unit is far superior than the CyberQII and cheaper to boot. The money you save buys you the 10 cfm blower.

I use Guru blower mounts with my stoker system. Here is a thread that discusses that:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...270072103/m/34210204

-rob

Thanks guys for your insights! I obviously have to rethink this somewhat. But first I have to take delivery of my second smoker, a 22'' WSM
icon_smile.gif

Back