Competition Pork

Willy T.

TVWBB Member
Hey Dr.,
Great Book!!!
I need advise
icon_smile.gif
...I'm really struggling with comp. pork.Been competin' 5 yrs. and seems pork is my Achilles'heel
icon_smile.gif
.We trophied once last year(2nd)but with no results since using the same method.I think I've tried every way to turn in..sauced,not sauced,rub added,sliced,pulled,and chunks.Even tried the wrapped and injected method in your new book.In my defense I cook (what I think and others) is good pork.I just can't get into the top ten with my pork.Any pointers to get out of this rut???
icon_smile.gif

Doing good in the other three catergories.Trophied in chicken,ribs, and brisket this year.

THanks,
Willy T.
Willy T's Dixie Smokers

Hi Willie,
I was having the same problem last year, and ike you, I thought my pork was good.
Then I was cooking with Chris Lilly, and he gave this injection recipe out so I tried it and my scores have improved, although I don't like it as much. I actually tried to get a little more out of him but he wouldn't budge. He said this is real close, whatever that means.

3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 Tablespoons worcestershire

For what it's worth - this is the injection that I use for butts. I got it off his "How To cook shoulders" Video.

And I have won pretty well with it.

I am working on tweaking it a little, but this is a good base to begin with (IMO). Judges seem to like it.

Thanks Doc and Brad I'll give it a try.I've got the video.Do you use the rub recipe too???

You know Ray,Tommy Houston gave me the same advise in Tryon...It must be that great minds thing or something
icon_smile.gif

Thanks,
Willy T.

Yeah, either that or Tommy's sharing the stuff I tell him. I'll have to have a talk with that boy.
I've never tried the rub recipe. I don't have the video.

Willy,

No, I do not use the rub recipe.

I have my own that I use for it. But, the inject is very good.

About a year ago, I cooked a butt without injecting it just to see if I would be able to tell a difference.

I was amazed at how much flavor this inject actually DOES add!

Good luck with it!

"The Big Pork Injection" in Ray's book is really good.I thought it gave the pork a awesome flavor.A good balance of sweet and salt.Seems like it made the smoke flavor enhanced. May try it again.It just didn't hit at the last contest(Tryon).But, everyone thought it was good.

Willy T.

Back