Mods to new WSM 18.5

Kent Chambers

Just installed handles, purchased from HD, universal garage door handles. Holes lined up perfect, no bending to fit. Then drilled for 2 holes each side, for temp probe access. Used elec. tape to prevent chipping. Installed small 3/8 lamp rods, 2 on each side, one above lower grate and one below upper grate. Was easy, even for a slow witted old norwegian like me. =) Cant wait to do my first smoke, soon as the South Dakota wind dies down. =)

Build a plywood wind break or build iit from a 55 gallon drum and defy the wind.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

IMO handles are the easiest and best mod for the money. I think Weber would put them on but some one would spill hot grease on them self and blame Weber for it and sue...It is nice on long cooks to remove the middle with the meat intact and stir the ash and add some coal if needed. Some say they have never had to add coal even on long cooks. OK, come here to northern Michigan when it is 10 degrees below zero! You will add coal, trust me!!!
icon_razz.gif

I also did the handle and temp probe mods before I even used my new WSM. You can get by without these two mods but they sure make life easier.

Another mod I like is the 3-in-1 charcoal grate mod. This prevents charcoal from falling out the bottom and basically makes the bottom grate one unit. With the handles I can shake out the ashes after a cook leaving unburned charcoal behind. I did mine like Photo 9, though the bolts I used were not as big.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/charcoalgrate.html

When I was at HD getting handles and lamp parts, I also picked up a 14" clay pot base. I've never used the WSM with water, so I don't know how much harder it is to control temps vs water. I really don't find it too bad and the cleanup is easy.

I also found when assembling my WSM that it was just possible for the top grate to fall onto the lower grate. One extra washer on each of the four grate tabs fixed that. I know I came across the suggestion for that here but I can't find the link.

Great looking mods Kent. One thing that may help, I notice you've put caps on your probe holes. You may want to ionstall two threaded rods in the one of the legs of your smoker. That way, when you have probes running through both holds on your smoker, you won't loose your caps. (Just screw the caps on the 2 rods installed in the leg of the smoker) seems like an unimportant thing, until you have to keep buying those caps!!!

Sounds like we are reccomending four mods to the WSM
Firstly install handles - Universal Garage Door Handles work well
Secondly install ports for remote thermo wires. I replaced a screw with them
Thirdly link together two charcoal grates and the ring. I have found handles not to be needed
Quarternararly mark the knob on the door so you can tell where the locking tab is (or is this no longer needed?)

I've used the Weber #72501 Charcoal double Grate mod for ten years. My WSM's travel a lot, 10K/yr+ so I like versatility. One of my favorite things to do is drop the top cooking grate right on the fire ring for grilling. You'd need to be very careful to fab handles that would work with that technique.

Back