Smoky mashed potatoes

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I've served these with brisket and with steaks--great accompaniment. Yukon Gold potatoes are best used here. If they are unavailable use russets. A potato ricer, while not essential, yields the best textured mashed potatoes. If you do not have one, use a regular potato masher, mash the potatoes about halfway first, then add a little of the other ingredients noted, then mash more and work in the other ingredients as you go. Of course, if you have a ricer, rice the potatoes first then stir in the other ingredients.

Smoked paprika is available at Penzey's, Tienda, and many other online spice retailers.

Adapted from a recipe by Anya von Bremzen

Smoky Mashed Potatoes

2.5 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2" chunks, if large
salt
2 bay leaves
1 large or 2 small whole dried Ancho peppers or other mild, flavorful dried chilies

3/4 c evoo
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
pinch salt
4 cloves garlic, pressed
1 heaping T Spanish smoked paprika

more evoo
freshly ground white pepper

Heat the 3/4 c evoo in a small saute pan over medium heat.

Put the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Add plenty of salt so that when the potatoes are done they are seasoned well (if unsure, salt the water--you can add more salt during mixing if needed). Add the bay leaves and the Ancho(s) and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat slightly and cook till the potatoes are tender. Remove the chile(s) and bay leaves from the cooking water and discard. Scoop 1 c of the water out of the pot and reserve (don't forget this step!). Rice the potaotes into a large bowl or wipe out the cooking pot and rice them into it. (Mash with a masher if no ricer is available, as noted above.)

Meanwhile, while the potatoes are cooking, add the onions with a pinch of salt to the oil and cook, stirring occasionally, till completely softened but not browned. Add the garlic and smoked paprika, stir well, cook about 2 min, then remove the pan from the heat. Reserve till the potatoes are riced.

Scrape the onion-evoo mixture into the riced potatoes and add a little of the reserved potato cooking water. Add some white pepper and mix, adding alternating additions of reserved cooking water and plain evoo, a T or two each at a time, till the potatoes are rich and flavorful. Do not overstir or they will become pasty. Serve.

Kevin,

These are great. Tried them last night because I had Penzey's smoked spanish paprika on hand and could not wait to try your recipe.

I had already planned to have macadamia crusted mahi-mahi (got it fresh yesterday) and the potatoes were a bit overpowering for that dish. Will serve these again but with a heartier meal.

Thanks for the recipe.

Ray

Tis the season. The dinners I'm doing for clients will have this side dish. You really don't want to serve the same ol' mashed potatoes, do you?

I can vouch for these. They are great! I served them to a group of 30-35 last month and they loved them.

Rita

Sounds delicious, I do a 'smashed potato' dish that is similar. After doing a short parboil I place the potatoes in my pit along with whatever is being smoked that day. When tender enough to be pierced easily with a fork they get 'smashed' after removing most, but not all of the skin. This gives them a beautiful hint of wood smoke that would probably work nicely adapted to this recipe.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

wsmsmile8gm.gif

I haven't exposed myself to anyone,much less Rachael Ray! Thats my story and I am stickin to it! Actually, I don't think I have ever heard of her, but thanks for the translation. I will try these. John.

She's got too many shows on Food TV. Every other sentence she uses the term EVOO and then explains what it is, every single time. It's a bit overdone and annoying.

Originally posted by Jane Cherry:
She's got too many shows on Food TV. Every other sentence she uses the term EVOO and then explains what it is, every single time. It's a bit overdone and annoying.

But I never get tired of watching her do it.
icon_biggrin.gif

Ok, I exposed my self to RR. She was ok for the first few shows but soon got like drinking honey! Sorry, she is just too cutsie for me, I will stick with Alton
brown. John.

Back