Battle Three Tea!

Clark Deutscher

TVWBB All-Star
Without further ado the secret ingredient is.....TEA!

"So now America and of course Scandanavia, with an open heart and an empty stomach, I say unto you in the words of my uncle: 'Allez cuisine!

Good luck everyone!

Clark, Kevin, and Bill

Here is an excellent breakdown of the rules provided by Jennifer in the last battle as a reminder to anyone following along!

PHOTOS
Each team will post 4 photos per day on a designated set of three dates (see below). Each 4-photo post will be shots of prep and cooking of one of the three dishes, or all three dishes. No text will is allowed. Any comments must be from the judges and fellow board members.

These are just proposed dates but if they work for everyone.....

7, 9 & 11 November : Team USA will post

8, 10, & 12 November: Team Wikings will post

FINAL JUDGING PHASE
13 November, prior to midnight, each team must post 3 photos, comprising one photo of each of their three final dishes with explanation.

The judges can ask questions of the teams, all questions and replies must be completed by [midnight 16 August Pacific time ?] Scoring will be completed November 14.

JUDGING

Each team can score a maximum of 30 POINTS

Judging is based on:
1) Appearance / presentation
2) Creativity / use of secret ingredient
3) Technique

Each of the above categories is worth 3 points, so the maximum score for each dish is 9, making for a combined max per team of 27 points.

4) Cohesion: this final category is awarded as a team score and is worth an additional 3 points.

JUDGING CATEGORIES

APPEARANCE: Covers the prep and final plated photos. There's is an element to planning your shots that is part of the competition. Judges are looking for good presentation from start to finish. This would be similar to how the IRON CHEF TV show discusses dishes as they are made. After plating, before scoring, the judges can post questions for the competitors.

CREATIVITY: covers creative uses of: secret ingredient, weber grills, fire/smoke, different proteins. More is better.

TECHNIQUE: covers how much of the creativity made sense. Did the cooking techniques match the chosen proteins? Does dish appear to be expertly executed? Was the secret ingredient used appropriately?

COHESION: covers the team/meal concept. Was there a theme other than secret ingredient? Was there repetition in any dish? Was the secret ingredient used in a unique manner for each dish? How well did the three dishes work together as a whole team effort?

Jeff had an idea on the first battle that we should try to keep everything from each battle in a single thread since it's easier to follow, if everyone I agrees I second that and suggest everything is posted here.....

Clark

Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
Hey, I didn't know Batman was living in Sweden these days!

Dear sir.....I am batman!
icon_biggrin.gif

Had a bloodacotta once, just a pannacotta thickened with blood instead of gelatin...tasty!

I'm a big boudin noir fan. I've been trying to get my hands on pig blood, but it seems like local guys aren't even allowed to give it away.

This should be really interesting and I am looking forward to it.

Does anyone else think to themselves about how they would approach the ingredient and dishes they could make?

Originally posted by KevinJ:
This should be really interesting and I am looking forward to it.

Does anyone else think to themselves about how they would approach the ingredient and dishes they could make?

In the swedish team we help out with feedback and ideas.
icon_smile.gif

I think it would be neat to give ideas after the competition is done as to not influence anyone. (Not that any of you need any at all) Good luck to both teams and all chefs.

I think it would be neat to give ideas after the competition is done as to not influence anyone. (Not that any of you need any at all) Good luck to both teams and all chefs.

I've been kind of disappointed in the lack of conversation during and after the previous battles. When I thought up this idea, I was expecting it to generate some innovation and curiosity in everyone here, not just the team members. It seems like these battles exist in isolation, or maybe members are thinking this stuff is over their heads.

When we were working on the first battle, and Don sent us some pics of his crab sandwich with brioche rolls all done on the weber, I was certain it would be copied by somebody. Same goes for the english muffins I grilled. And those aren't the only examples.

Not to give anything away, but in researching the current ingredient, my eyes are opening up to new things. Hopefully what the six of us do will be informative and inspirational to everyone.

Lastly, its hard to understate what I've gained from investing time into these battles. If you're reading this right now and wondered if you have what it takes to do this, stop wondering and form a team.

It seems like these battles exist in isolation, or maybe members are thinking this stuff is over their heads.

I think that might be a part of it but I don't think alot of the members venture out of one or two forums. I spend most of my time in the photo gallery but when I venture into say Weber Charcoal Grills or Charcuterie there is a whole different group of people there. So I guess we have to let it be known to go and visit this section in the other sections. Just like Jeff R said Here it looked as if he just stumbled upon the post.

Anyway that is my 2 cents

Originally posted by Bill W. Michigan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It seems like these battles exist in isolation, or maybe members are thinking this stuff is over their heads.

I think that might be a part of it but I don't think alot of the members venture out of one or two forums. I spend most of my time in the photo gallery but when I venture into say Weber Charcoal Grills or Charcuterie there is a whole different group of people there. So I guess we have to let it be known to go and visit this section in the other sections. Just like Jeff R said Here it looked as if he just stumbled upon the post.

Anyway that is my 2 cents </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm every bit as guilty. I typically start out in the photo gallery, and if I have more time I go to barbecuing and grilling. Even more time then I keep exploring the mods, kettles, gassers and WSM sections. It's just force of habit, and I usually don't make it in here until I've gone through kitchen gadgets and the just conversation room. Maybe Chris could make the Iron Chef forum more prominent during battles? (Not that I want to volunteer him for more work, since I have no idea what that might entail.)

I typically start out in the photo gallery,
Funny. I almost never go there. Haven't been in that part of the forum for quite some time - maybe only 3 or 4 times since Chris started it. My point -if there is one - is that we all approach all of this - this board included - differently.

Back