Wing Dips: Ranch and Blue Cheese Dressings

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
Both these recipes come from this book:

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que: An American Roadhouse (Hardcover)

I always feel a bit conflicted posting recipes straight from text, so let me make this a little bit of a commercial to ease my conscience: this is a really nice book, I’ve cooked quite a bit from it and everything I’ve made has been outstanding. You can see (if you try either of these recipes) that you’ll cook from this book and won’t be disappointed. I haven’t seen much love for this book and I can only attribute this to the fact that their three restaurants are all in NY and maybe they are a bit of a local phenomenon. As far as their restaurants go, I’ve only ate at the Rochester location once and it was a decent enough experience (as far as bbq goes, this far north).

I detest ranch (to put it mildly) and get annoyed when a restaurant tries to pass it off with a plate of wings. Well that was until I tried this recipe. It completely changed my attitude towards ranch and I might go so far as to say I might prefer this to blue cheese when the wings are bbq’d. It works great with the recipe for fried green tomatoes (also in the book) and we use it in the recipe for BBQ Salad in “Peace, Love, and BBQ.”

Cayenne Buttermilk Ranch Dressing

1 ¼ cup mayonnaise
1 cup buttermilk
1 tbs red wine vinegar
2 tsp minced garlic
¼ cup chopped chives
1 tbs lemon pepper
¼ cup grated parmigiano
1tsp kosher salt
Black pepper
1 tsp Creole Seasoning

Mix

Photo: Buttermilk on fried green tomatoes

This recipe for blue cheese dressing is a bit more manageable since about the only thing I don’t normally stock in the fridge/pantry is the blue cheese. I’m not a big fan of chunky dressing, especially if I’m dipping wings, so I usually dump it all into a blender. Speaking of blending, I recommend finding a ball jar that fits your blender and buying a case. I have a Cuisinart and the normal mouth jars fit it, and my in-laws (not sure of brand) takes the wide mouth jar. Anyways, its great to load up a jar, drop on the gasket and blade, screw it down and blend away. I’ll overturn the jar, let the blade drip clean for a few minutes, screw on a lid and its good for the fridge with little to no mess to clean up. I’m currently scaling a bunch of my recipes that require blending so that they fit in pint jars. If I ever get around to these I’ll post an update.

Blue Cheese Dressing

2 cups mayonnaise
3 tbs apple cider vinegar
1 tsp Worcestershire
2 tbs lemon juice
1 tsp dry mustard
½ tsp white pepper
¼ tsp celery seed
Tabasco
¾ cup crumbled blue cheese

Thoroughly mix everything but blue cheese. Gently, fold in blue cheese.

I made a batch of the blue cheese and I forgot to put in the lemon. It turned our really good, and I was trying to figure out what I did differently, that was when I remembered I forgot the lemon. I might go so far as to recommend omitting it.

as far a the canning jar/blender hack goes, the blue cheese recipe makes a batch that fits in a quart jar (wide mouth) which fits on a kitchen aid blender.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:

.....I always feel a bit conflicted posting recipes straight from text, so let me make this a little bit of a commercial to ease my conscience: this is a really nice book, I’ve cooked quite a bit from it and everything I’ve made has been outstanding...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me help ease your conscience, J!

Based on your recommendation, I bought the soft cover version (through Chris' link, of course.) As "advertised", it is a really fun book to read, and the recipes sound very good. I love the way they present their "Mutha" sauce, then incorporate it with additions in so many recipes.

Thanks!!!!

JimT

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Let me help ease your conscience, J!

Based on your recommendation, I bought the soft cover version (through Chris' link, of course.) As "advertised", it is a really fun book to read, and the recipes sound very good. I love the way they present their "Mutha" sauce, then incorporate it with additions in so many recipes.

Thanks!!!!

JimT </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

every recipe I've tried has been a homerun. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

I love to make the guava-pineapple habanero sauce and found its actually better with my sauce than the mutha sauce. Its easy to make if you already have a bbq sauce made, my only suggestion is to strain the sauce after pureeing.

other recommendations:

fried green tomatoes
chimichurri sauce
mojito marinade
pan fried pork with creole honey mustard sauce
creole potato salad
tom-cuke salad
garlic cheddar grits
garlic dill pickles
creole seasoning

Back