Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1858666768

Thread: Roadside Chicken

No one can tell me otherwise. The WSM w/o the water pan and a blazing hot fire with 2 chimneys of KBB and a chunk of wood is the best way to make RS chicken. Far enough away from the flames but close enough too.
    So good.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy G View Post
    No one can tell me otherwise. The WSM w/o the water pan and a blazing hot fire with 2 chimneys of KBB and a chunk of wood is the best way to make RS chicken. Far enough away from the flames but close enough too.
    So good.
    I cook mine this way but I use hardwood charcoal. I got a craving for RSC today so I got a huge pack of thighs for tomorrow.
    18.5" WeberSmokeyMountain,22.5" GreenOTG, Smokey Joe Silver

I tried the RSC recipe today with some chicken quarters on the 26.75" with the SNS (no water) and Western Lump...DELICIOUS!

When I first whipped up the marinade it smelled like salad dressing (and can seriously be used as such). I subbed a pinch of celery seed and a few shakes of salt (in place of celery salt). I reserved some for basting. Let the chicken sit for about 6 hours in the bag. Used some of my rib/chicken rub on the other quarters as a control. The non-RSC was really good. But I think the RSC as a marinade/baste is excellent! I think any oil vinegarette could simulate it in a pinch, but the white vinegar and the sugar give a clean vinegar "bite" with a hint of sweet that is really memorable.

Next time I would double the recipe and use a finishing seasoning (dust) or maybe a light glaze. But seriously, it was really tasty as-is.

For some reason, even though the ingredients read like a bottle of Italian Dressing, this tastes better. What struck me was the slight sweetness. I really enjoyed it.
    26.75", Vintage 26", Vintage 22", 22.5", PK Classic

This recipe is the best!! Reminds me of the Sertoma chicken bbq at Longs Park as a kid growing up. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Randy G View Post
    So good.
    Agreed! The skin gets nice and crispy with that method.

Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1858666768