Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1757656667

Thread: Roadside Chicken

TVWBB Olympian
    Quote Originally Posted by Rita Y View Post
    I now have the best smile of the week.

Rita
    As do I. Thanks to all for the kind words.
    "When I die, I'll donate my body to science too see how big my smoke ring is "
    Lump, It's what I'm cooking over. Chris A, Thanks for letting me play here.

In honor of your recent return, I'm making Roadside for dinner tonight.
    ; ; ;

Thanks OP for this recipe! I forgot to not put in oil for marinade, and it was still really good! I did baste also ...

TVWBB Pro
    Well, I made this today. FIrst thing grilled in my newly restored Weber Genesis 1000. It came out fabulous. It was certainly a hit with my daughter and her boyfriend. I also cooked three ears of sweet corn and three baked potatoes while the 6 lb chicken was turning.

I marinated without oil for about three hours and cooked it for a bit over three hours before it got to 165. I started the cook down close to 200 but after about an hour, I got the grill temps dialed in to right at 300 degrees using the front burner. I also used a few chunks of cherry wood for the smoke flavor and was tasty and evident in the chicken. I basted it every 30-15 minutes and replaced the wood chunks three times.

TVWBB Pro
    I just did my second chicken today. It came out better than the first. I had premade 4 small tin foil packs of cherry wood chips ahead of time and swapped them in as necessary. That helped ensure a really quailty smoke flavor to the chicken. I did make two small mistakes this time however. I marinated the chicken for a few hours ahead of time in the sauce the same as before, but this time I forgot to leave the oil out of the marinade. It did not seem to make a difference. Maybe it was better???? Also, I forgot to put a drip pan under the chicken and didn't realize it until an hour into the cook. Boy, the drippings sure do collect quickly in the drip pan under the grill. I got it put in and didn't seem to cause any real issues.
    The wife loved the chicken. Definitely will be looking for some good deals at the grocery store for whole chickens and stocking up for the freezer.
    Thanks for the recipe and directions.

Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1757656667