Where to buy a roasting pan ?

Tom Chips

TVWBB All-Star
I'm looking for a good quality roasting pan, either an All Clad, or a Calphalon, since I have read they are the best rated, and I wont have to ever buy another one.

Does anyone know where to get a great deal on one? I need to get a V-rack as well, but thats probably less important, and I saw several good ones at Williams Sonoma Last week.

Any tips are greatly appriciated. Finally starting to do my own whole birds in the oven. Got one going now, in a cheapy aluminum one.

Of course I have dug thru Google, looking at prices. I was surprised that eBay was a dud. Not much there of this quality.

Anybody have an opinion about the non stick versus polished stainless steel? It seems like the ratings lean towards polished SS.

In my experience it is quite difficult to find a good deal on All-clad...a bit of a break on Amazon sometimes but that is about it. So, I save up my BBB 20% off coupons and buy it there. I've yet to find a better deal than that (I've now got basically a full set of All-Clad...very pleased - kids will be fighting over who gets to inherit the stufff).

Cook's Illustrated rated the All-Clad Stainless Steel Roti, Model #5016 as best followed by the Calphalon Anodized French Roast Pan, Model G6818 HC.

If you intend to make au jus or gravy from the drippings then don't buy non-stick as it does not facilitate fond production.

Tom,

I have moved away from anything non-stick for baking. The surfaces flake off and I don't want to guess where the flakes go (in my food?). Anyway, I have recently purchased only stainless steel. Some of my purchases were in gourmet / kitchen stores and others were from Amazon.com. E-bay just did not have the selection or quality.

I am very happy with the SS and recommend that approach.

Ray

Thanks all, I have been browsing for several hours. I guess its hard to get a deal when the costs of all the raw materials keep going up. I have some good quality SS cookware I bought years ago, that is very similar to All-Clad, but 1/3 the price. Been happy with that. I suppose it could double as a lasagna pan too, in order to get more use out of it.

Bed Bath and Beyond for Calphalon, use one of their 20% off coupons. All-Clad is excluded on the coupons, but some stores will let you use them anyway.

Calphalon Anodized French Roast Pan
I cook on all kinds of brands and metals/metal combinations when I cook hither and yon. My preference, though, and what I have at home is Calphalon anodized. (I like their non-stick egg pans too; they're the only non-sticks I have.)

Many retailers include a rack.

Kevin, that's a killer deal, I was looking at that site too, but in the description it says that it is safe for oven (duh) and broiler. But nothing mentioned about cooktop.

Will the aluminum buckle or warp on top of the stove? I would want to be able to deglaze in the same pan, and other stuff ie, gravy.

Of course(!) you want to deglaze in pan. And yes, you sure can. Heavy, anodized aluminum will not buckle or warp. Deglaze away.

Sweet, thanks. I will probably order this one, and save $100.

Do you find any benefit with the AA, versus the SS? I imagine both will last pretty much forever, and the aluminum is a good deal lighter to have to heft around.

My opinion is the opposite of Jeff's. I find cleaning AA easier than SS. The other thing: SS looks best shiny and unscratched. AA's finish is matte so shiny isn't an option--a good thing in my book.

Cooks I know with SS cookware seem to spend more time getting the metal to shine than I would want to deal with--but if I am using their stuff for a gig I need to restore it to its original condition so end up doing that anyway. And if they have pans I don't like to begin with (like All-Clad) it makes for a less enjoyable cook for me. I'm used to it so it ain't that bad. Just sayin'--and digressing.

Anyway, the best product for AA is Dormond. It only needs to be used occasionally. (I am now on my second tub of it and have had most of my pans for well over twenty-five years.) Occasional use will keep the pan(s) looking nearly new.

All-Clad does make a fine roaster (my problem with them is their horrible handles on their sauté pans, not their composition). But I prefer Calphalon's hard anodized pan myself.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
Anyway, the best product for AA is Dormond. It only needs to be used occasionally.

I have never used Dormond, does it work appreciably better than Ajax, Comet or similar cleaners? I have to use a lot of elbow grease with Comet/Ajax to remove the film from my AA pieces. Bar Keepers Friend works great on my All-Clad without a lot of scrubbing.

Jeff

It does work better and it it restores the finish. If you've had discoloration or baked on junk for some time it will take more elbow grease than if you've kept up your pans in the interim, but when that occurs I just do the best I can with it at the moment and then do it again a day or two later so as not to make myself crazy.
icon_smile.gif

I don't know if the extra weight of SS will bother me, and I do appreciate the look of polished SS. But not at a price $200 more.

I grew up scrubbing everything with Comet, and now refuse to use it. I hate that crap. If I need something similar, I will use their gel. I probably inhaled a few pounds of that stuff growing up. My mom made me clean every surface in the house with it practically. Bad mojo..

Hope this link is right for TVWB credit....
Calphalon Roasting Pan

I've had this one for a number of years, Cooks Illustrated named it the winner for less expensive pans even though its still 100+.

It has survived the oven the stove and the grill and still comes out clean every time.

I'd highly recommend it.

I cook on all kinds of brands and metals/metal combinations when I cook hither and yon. My preference, though, and what I have at home is Calphalon anodized. (I like their non-stick egg pans too; they're the only non-sticks I have.)

Many retailers include a rack.

Kevin
Tom, I have that pan and rack combo Kevin linked to. It's a great pan. I've had mine for about 5 years now. I've bought several of my knives over thw years from Cutlery and More, great online retailer. Go for it, that IS a "killer deal"

Back