Chili / Hot Dog Chili

Boss Banks

TVWBB Pro
I have searched the internet and I have had a hard time finding a hot dog chili recipe. So, I decided to tweak my own chili recipe for hot dogs. This is what I came up with.

Boss's Chili / Hot Dog Chili recipe

I start with my basic chili recipe. This is what I typically make in the winter.

1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 6 oz can of tomato paste
1 15 oz can of beef broth (low sodium)
2 ½ pounds of ground chuck (or more)
2 Tablespoons minced garlic (I use the stuff out of the jar)
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 15 oz can dark red kidney beans (drained)
1 15 oz can black beans (drained)
1 15 oz can “chili beans” (your favorite brand)
1 medium to large vidalia onion
2 red bell peppers

Chop the red bell peppers and onion. Brown the ground beef and drain (do so on your grill if you desire). I then add the red bell peppers, onion, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, beef broth, chili powder, salt, cumin, oregano, black pepper, cayenne, red pepper flakes, dark red kidney beans, black beans, and chili beans. Initially it will be very thick and you want just enough liquid to be able to gently turn with a spoon. If it is too thick add more beef broth or water. Keep in mind, as the onion and peppers cook, they will add a lot of moisture. Cook over medium low heat and simmer. After 30 minutes add the garlic. (The only reason that I add the garlic late is because Justin Wilson always said to add garlic to a liquid.) In about another 30 – 60 minutes the chili will be done. Place in a bowl over nacho chips or spaghetti. And add cheese, jalapenos, sour cream, hot sauce, or whatever else you like.

Hot Dog Chili

I use the same basic recipe above and add refried beans to thicken it up. In the summer when I am making this only for hot dogs I will add a 31 oz can of refried beans after the onions and bell peppers have softened. This tightens up the chili so it can easily be spread over some dogs. In the winter, just add enough refried beans to your leftover chili to reach desired thickness. This will cut some of the seasoning and you may want to adjust it to your palate. This makes a lot of chili, but you can get some plastic containers from your local big box retailer and freeze the leftovers. It is much better than any hot dog chili that you can buy off of the shelf. Enjoy!!

Back