How transportable?

John09

TVWBB Fan
I see lots of great restorations of craigslist finds here and I'd like to get in on that myself but I'm wondering how easy an old assembled greasy gasser is moved? I don't have a truck. Is it something that should fit in the trunk of your average sedan or can be broken down easily enough and made to fit?

I have seen them fit in smaller vehicles that are hatchbacks (I have seen them in Subaru hatchbacks), but a sedan trunk would be tough-the height without the lid is still probably close to 35"-40" and your width is going to be more. Depth is probably around 24". The top lid removes easily with 2 cotter pins and that helps reduce the height a bit. Usually you have a tubular frame that extends with a side table on one or both sides-great for sturdiness, but not great for transportation in a car. Sounds like you need a different ride!!

A sedan would be really tough if not impossible. I've always used a mini van and that only fits when I take the lid off of the grill.

My experience: I bought a decade old Genesis Silver A a couple weeks ago. I set about disassembling it for cleanup and found the burners and manifold and lid easy to remove. When I got to the single bolt that held the bowl to the frame I was stymied. The nut (inside the bowl) was badly rusted so I just cut it off with a die grinder. I still could not budge the bolt that held it in place. I just cleaned it as best as I could with the bowl in the frame.

I did not try to disassemble the frame itself, but that seems like it could be risky to count on since these are typically exposed to weather and could be rusted up.

Even the small one looked pretty big in the back of my truck. With the supports for the work tables, even getting it into a hatchback might be iffy.

U-Haul rents small trailers for $15/day. I would go with the motorcycle hauler because it has a ramp and low deck that would make loading easier.

You can get hitch receiver mounted carriers that would handle a Weber grill. But the hitch receiver is probably going to cost more than the carrier.

Or promise a friend with a truck or trailer to cook for a BBQ party in exchange for transport.

Perhaps there is a Weber Q in your future.
icon_biggrin.gif

I brought my Spirit-700 home, partially disassembled, in the trunk & backseat of my previous beater 2002 Buick LeSabre.

Having done that once - If I were going to attempt to do it again, I would suggest the following:

#1 - Only attempt this if you are at least a 4 on a scale of 1-10 for mechanical inclination (1="dunce" / 10=certified aircraft mechanic)

#2 - Pack a socket set, screwdrivers, and a sturdy pliers or two for disassembly duty.

#3 - Pack some flat cardboard to line the trunk and/or back seat if you do not have a liner. Grill gunk can be VERY DIFFICULT to remove from upholstry / carpeting

#4 - Take a few big garbage bags for the greasier stuff

#5 - pack some masking tape and a sharpie if you need to tag stuff when you take it apart. (as reminders, so that you can get it back together later)

Follow these steps to reduce the size / manage damage / get it to fit in manageable "chunks":

A: Remove loose stuff (grates, flavorizer bars. The lower metal drip-pan slides out like a drawer and usually contains a lot of gunk, etc. - put these in a box/garbage bag) If you can, toss the foil drip-catcher on-site, but be sure to keep the wire retainer and clip for it.

B. Remove the lid - this is usually easy. (2) clevis pins usually hold the end-caps of the hood to the body of the grill.

C. Detach the "legs" from the cart - keeping the upper part of the cart attached to the lower grill housing. The cart can usually fold-up and/or be disassembled into manageable-size sub-assemblies. The lower housing with upper cart & gas manifold/valves etc will usually squeeze into a decent-size vehicle.

If you go prepared, this should take about 20-minutes .

Lastly - be courteous. Be sure to arrange this with the seller beforehand, so that you don't keep them while you knock-down your new prize. And don't get grease/gunk on their property.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron G.:
Having done that once - If I were going to attempt to do it again, I would suggest the following: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ron,
Based on my experience I think your advice is spot on.

The only thing I would add is WRT your #5. If you have a digital camera or even a cell phone, take lots of pictures. However you can also refer to the parts breakdown on Weber's site to figure out how it goes together.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Trapp:
Do you have a hitch on your car? A uhaul trailer can be rented cheaply. Heck you can rent a van for not much more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can't rent a van for not much more. I don't want to argue, but this is one of my pet peeves. They say it's $20 a day, but check out the per mile rate and it costs a lot to rent anything with an engine. Stick with the trailer.

If you lay it down, will the width fit in a mini-van? Trying to figure out how to get a CL grill home without doing major surgery on it.

John,
I live in 1 of the most truck unfriendly places in the USA. I was able to undo the wing nuts (2) on the manifold and (1) 7/16" bolt on the other side. Remove the entire firebox with lid, which was bagged up and put into the back seat. Then the frame was loaded into the trunk of my '09 Civic. Trunk secured with a bungee. I believe all of the older Genesis series disassemble this way.

Back