Green Pork Chili

Kevin Taylor

TVWBB All-Star
I am not really a big fan of pork in red chili(though I do use a pork bone when making my red chili). But, in a nice green sauce it is actually better than beef.

Green Pork Chili

1 pound Pork, smoked and chopped
1 medium Onion(s), minced
3 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon Olive oil
2 pound(s) Green chilies, roasted and chopped
2 tablespoon(s) Jalapeno pepper
1 teaspoon Cumin
pinch Salt
pinch Black pepper
3 cup(s) Chicken stock
1 bottle Beer, dark

In a large dutch oven-type pot, saute garlic and onion in olive oil.

Add pork and mix until heated.

Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil.

Simmer, partially covered, for 2-3 hours.

If you want more heat, add more Jalaps.

Tom...

Good question! I should probably clarify that in the recipe.

My wife has made it with those canned green chilies...several cans of them. Tastes pretty good actually!

I use whatever the produce section has that looks good. I try some hotter ones like serrano, piquin, deArbol and then for the majority of the 2 lbs. the milder ones, like anaheim, poblano, New Mexico, even used banana peppers once. Weigh them right there in the produce dept!

I like to roast mine...I do it on the grill. High heat, grease the grates and then let 'em burn. Once scorched, I place in a bag for a few minutes and then peel the skin.

I like my chili free from lumps so I then take these and "liquify" them fine in a hand powered salsa maker.

Mr. Stogie,
Everybody that knows beans about chili, knows there ain't no beans in chili. Saw your post under that recipe that showed them beans. So, it was with great fear and intrepidation that I followed you to this category. Would a man that is all knowing, who I have put on a pedestal have feet of clay? No /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Mr. Stogie, you know beans about chili. {Also a lot about cuein}

Hey, Mike!

Not sure if I belong on a pedestal, but I sure do thank you for the honor!

I hail from the Midwest...home of "pseudo" chili. So, you MUST forgive!! LOL

I compete in the chili cook-offs and am well aware that beans don't belong in chili. My competition chili is quite different than the one I serve to family and friends.

In ICS, the People's Choice chili MUST contain beans or pasta! So, I was "forced" to include them in this recipe.

Hey, at least I didn't include pasta in it!! LOL

John....

I have only used fresh ones, but those canned ones would work as well. Just keep in mind, the canned ones are usually pickled.

Last night my girlfriend wasn't feeling like going out so I said ok and went off to the local mexican market and picked up a couple of pounds pobalnos and aneheims. For hot peppers they had of serrano's and de arbols (but the arbols I had to purchase in a bulk so I skipped them this time)

I used five serranos and the rest of the two pounds was poblanos and aneheims. The five serranos with the t tablespoons of chopped jalepenos made this Chili Really hot!! It was a tasty hot that was fine when you ate it but then it snuk up on ya hot. I didn't clean out the ribs on the Jalepeno's but i did de-seed everything. When you make it how many of the hot peppers do you usually use?
Also maybe I should have had more pobalnos and aneheims because after roasting and seeding I weighted what I had befroe putting it in the food proseessor and I only had about 20 oz left.

Thanks Stogie, never had a green chili but I will make this tasty dish again!!!!
(though next time I will wear gloves when handling the hot pepper, my hands were burning for a couple of hours!!!)

Stogie, I tried your recipe yesterday and loved it. This recipe sounded delicious, filled the house with a great smell all afternoon as it simmered, and was the best chili I've ever tasted. Its definitely a keeper.

nothing like reviving an old post.

I usually take my butts to temps condusive for pulling. If I'm smoking a butt with this recipe in mind, is there any advantage to only going to 175 or 180 so to actually get some nice chunks/cubes? I'm sure either type of pork works great in this recipe.

People at work are talking about a chili cookoff, and though I've experiemented w/ green chili at home, this one looks really good. And I'm 100% posititve that none of my workmates would ever think this far out of the "chili box". I'm not trying to "wow" anybody, just come to the table with some different flavors.

One other question. I realize beans may be taboo to some, but I'll likely need to get some into this. Any recommendations: black beans, pintos, maybe white kindney?

I've never tried to add beans to it. I make it everytime I have leftover pulled pork and/or brisket. The green chili freezes well, too!

We use it for green chili burros (you just toast a flour tortilla on a cast iron skillet to get the raw flour taste out, and fill it with the green chili).

I also use it as the filling for enchiladas , and it's fantastic!

I've done this recipe a couple of times. It works great with pulled pork (as opposed to completely shredded), just don't cook the meat forever in the chili.

Fresh is better, but it works okay with canned chiles. I thougt it could use more "zip" so I increased the amount of jalapeno pepper (but they do vary in heat).

Beans? We like beans in our house, and we LOVE black beans. If you like beans, throw them in and you will be pleased.

Like Susan said, it makes a very tasting filling for your favorite Mexican sandwich.

I made this the other day. Delicious.

I upped the stock to 4 cups and cooked it an hour. I made a thick roux of butter, oil, and stone-ground corn meal (about 3/4 cup), then whisked about 1 cup of milk into that. Then I whisked that in to the chili. 15 min more and dinner served-in a bowl with hot corn tortillas on the side.

Thanks, Stogie

Lately, I've been adding a can or two of (rinsed) hominy to my green chili. Love that flavor and it goes really well with the pork.

Rita

Here is the recipe I use, personally I will never make any other chili verde recipe, I have no need to! I have however tweaked it to my heat level and a various blend of spices that I will never tell anyone [sorry!]. Even my friends and family don't know what herbs I use in it other than the ones listed! The same goes for my chili rojo recipe.

Pork in Chili Verde - Oaxaca
serves 4 to 6

2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
8 to 10 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 to 2 1/2 pounds lean pork, cut into 1/2 inch cubes

2 japaleno chilies, seeded and minced (or to taste)
2 Anaheim chilies, seeded and cut into thin rings
8 to 10 tomatillos, washed well and chopped
1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
2 cups chicken stock, broth or bouillon

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
salt and fresh coarse ground black pepper to taste
juice and zest of 2 limes

Heat the oil in a heavy skillet and lightly sauté the onion, garlic and pork until lightly browned on all sides. Add the next 7 ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the pork is very tender. Remove lid and if there is too much liquid, reduce heat until the sauce is thick. Add the cilantro, lime juice and zest and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with rice and fresh warm tortillas.

Originally posted by Mike Provance:
Mr. Stogie,<br />Everybody that knows beans about chili, knows there ain't no beans in chili.

I'm from Connecticut, and I learned to make chili with beans. Friends and neighbors love it. I have in laws in Houston, Texas, and the last time I was there they hosted a poker night, so I made my chili. Let me tell you, I don't think I've ever felt more out of my element. A Connecticut guy shouldn't be making chili for Texans. Tough judges. And they didn't expect beans.

Would you mind sharing a Texas chili recipe? I'd love to try making a "real" chili once in my life.

Good luck on your search for "Kidney suet" LOL
icon_biggrin.gif

Back