Pulled pork enchilada.

Greg Schaefer

Hello,

I've made what passes for NC barbecue in our house using Fergy's sauce from the afb faq. A decent-sized smoked picnic or butt makes more sandwiches than we care to eat, so I tried the following to good reviews.

1) Preheat tortilla 15 seconds in microwave.
2) distribute 1/2 cup room temperature pulled pork in a line across the diameter of the tortilla.
3) ladle something like 1/4 cup red enchilada sauce (recipe below) over pork.
4) layer some "mexican" pre-shredded cheese over this, then roll tortilla like a rug.
5) repeat as desired.
6) cover lightly in sauce, and add cheese.
7) bake 350* until cheese melts.
8) transfer tortillas to center of a plate, and spoon cheese/sauce from pan back onto tops of enchiladas.
9) put some pre-warmed old el paso refried beans (no affiliation, just find them best) onto one half of the plate, and sprinkle with cheese.
10) broil until cheese melts.
11) shred lettuce with kitchen scissors, and place onto unused half of cooled plate. Add finely sliced tomatos where desirable.

Serve with salsa and sour cream on the salad.

The red enchilada sauce is a keeper, and in my hands comes out best when I actually use measuring spoons.

I used pork picnic smoked with several chunks of hickory.

Happy smoking,

Greg Schaefer

Red Enchilada Sauce

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon minced onion
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 cup salsa
1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups water

Directions

1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the onion, oregano, chili powder, basil, ground black pepper, salt, cumin, parsley, salsa and tomato sauce.

2. Mix together and then stir in the water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.

(from http://beefrecipe.com/AZ/RedEnchiladaSauce.asp)

Back