Charcoal ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penoose

How much ash does it take to taint your meat?

I know it's best not to stir up ANY ash when tending the fire or adding wood, but those little floating specks seem inevitable. I barely touch anything and a few invariably fly from the fire.

Is this a serious problem? If so, how do I avoid it?

P.j.

The best thing to do is not touch the fire. Except for a long cook, I don't know why you'd need to. I've done a few shorter smokes now (ribs, chicken, turkey . . . 6 hours or so) and I've never had to touch the fire.

That said, it is what it is - I would just do what ever you can to keep it to a minimum. A little probably won't hurt anything, but it can't be good.

One thing that certain people do (AND THIS IS RISKY/DANGEROUS!!!!), is take the top/middle of the smoker off when they have to stir the coals or add more charcoal.

Ive only done one long cook, 17 hours, and I very very carefully removed the middle and top portions to stir the coals and add some charcoal. I just didnt want any ash to get on the meat. You just have to be careful and do it before adding more water to the pan. I also wear firefighters gloves which allow you to touch pretty much anything no matter how hot it is.

I don't stir the coals at all, no matter how long the cook. Never have, on the WSM, even on the 18-20 hour over-nighters. I have a small rubber-headed mallet with which I lightly tap the legs of the cooker once or twice. That knocks enough ash off of the coals to liven the fire up if needed. There may a bit of ash float up, but we've never been able to find it on the meat, either by sight or by taste, if there was.

Those guys that will take the whole thing apart to play with the fire are tougher than I am. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Keri C, still smokin on Tulsa Time

Just take the lid off and blow the ash off the ribs! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Just do it when nobody's lookin'!

How about rinsing any off with Apple juice. I have had to add coals to the fire and that stirs up some (not much) ash. I always spray with AJ afterwards.

Mike

I'm similar to Keri (not that anyone would think so) but I gently give each leg a little kick and if I have to add charcoal I do it one at a time using long tongs through the access door. Keeps ash to a minimum.

Thanks gang. I guess it's best to fiddle about as little as possible.

I often need to replenish fuel; perhaps I should try the minion method. I've been using the standard method to start the fire, mostly because it's difficult for me to imagine cooking without all the coals covered in gray ash.

P.j.

You can trust the Minion Method implicitely. It gives so much control you can't imagine...

"Once you go Minion, it'll change your Opinion."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> "Once you go Minion, it'll change your Opinion."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey, I like it! I'm seein' it on a black t-shirt, in white letters surrounded by a soft red glow. I can see it now...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Penoose:
[qb] Thanks gang. I guess it's best to fiddle about as little as possible.

I often need to replenish fuel; perhaps I should try the minion method. I've been using the standard method to start the fire, mostly because it's difficult for me to imagine cooking without all the coals covered in gray ash.

P.j. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Tip for the day:

When using Minion method, just invert your Weber chimney and stuff newspaper in "bassakwards."

Jim

Jim,

That's flippin' brilliant! I'm always trying to stack a few coals against the edge. Was going to try the coffee can insert idea I read here somewhere...

Geez... the simplest solutions are the hardest to come by.

Thanks!

Invert the Weber chimney, put a Weber starter cube in the center of the conical wire grate, cover with however many briquets you want to start, and light the cube from below.

I've gotten cubes at Lowe's, Home Depot and also, Sears. They can no longer be ordered through Weber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back