what's the difference???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Ir

TVWBB Member
I am cooking up 2 8 lb. butts and a 13 lb. brisket this weekend for my parents 61st anniversary. It has been written in this forum that you should put the butts on the top grate and the brisket on the bottom grate. I assume that is for basting purposes of the brisket. My question is: Does it really matter?? I think I'm gonna have problems with the size of the brisket on the bottom, and if I were to put it on top, I could tuck the ends through the grate....any comments???

Doesn't really matter that much at all, except that most folks seem to prefer the taste of pork fat basting brisket over the taste of beef fat basting pork. Just personal preferences, though. You'll be fine either way, just slightly different flavors to the meat. If the end of your flat is a bit thin, you can fold it under a little with no problems, and make it fit a little better.

With a 13-14 brisket, you'll have the edges of the meat hanging in the hot zone (that's the size I usually do). Try slipping a small piece of foil under the edges of the brisket that are outside the diameter of the water pan, which will help deflect some of the more intense heat that rises around the edges of the cooker. I've found that that helps keep down burnt ends... unless, of course, you happen to LIKE burnt ends.

I never wrap a brisket in foil until it's done and it comes off the smoker. Then I wrap in several layers of foil, towels, blankets, Polar Fleece, etc for a rest of at least an hour. That being said, if my brisket is of such a size that it is laying out to the edges of the grate, I just lay a piece of HD foil UNDERNEATH the outer edge of the meat that's in harm's way, just to help deflect the highest heat that travels up the outside walls of the cooker. I don't wrap it around the meat at all - just slide a little piece under the edge of the meat to protect to outer inch or two is all. We're not really fans of burnt ends.

Keri C, smokin on Tulsa Time

Ir, Congrats to your parents, I am cooking five 8 lb butts this weekend for my parents 50th. I think 2 of them shall get BRITU rub, 1 Mr. Brown, and the last 2 my own mix. Good luck, Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back