Genesis E-320

Gary McD

TVWBB Pro
I am about ready to pull the trigger on a new Genesis E-320, but before I do I would like to ask Genesis owners one thing. Do you really use the side burner for other things than lighting a chimmeny of charcoal?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary McD:
I am about ready to pull the trigger on a new Genesis E-320, but before I do I would like to ask Genesis owners one thing. Do you really use the side burner for other things than lighting a chimmeny of charcoal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes but not much. However, to me it's totally worth it for the charcoal lighting. The flame spreads out perfectly to light all the charcoal on the bottom of the chimney at once so it lights fast and you don't have to worry about newpaper ash flying all over the yard or replacing firestarters.

I like it for boiling water in the summertime for potatoes or pasta or whatever. I have barely enough BTU's-worth of A/C in my house that I don't need to be challenging it with a big pot of boiling water.

Otherwise, no. If I could have gotten a sear burner without getting the side burner too, I would have. I would, however, recommend you look into the EP line for $50 more. They're only available at Ace, True Value, and other premium dealers. It's a great bargain unless you really have a hankering for PCI grates over stainless steel rods.

Funny that you should say that Dave, because there is a new ACE hardware here in my town and they have one Genesis and that is an EP model with Stainless Steel grates. Do you think that the stainless steel grate is better then the cast iron ones?

I'm a big fan of the SS grates. I've done coated cast iron before, and I know Weber's new formulation is a lot tougher than what I've used, but they still eventually fail. No getting around the iron expanding and contracting over and over, eventually cracking the coating and allowing moisture in. With care they can go 5-6 years or maybe more.

SS rods conceivably will last forever with almost no maintenance. I was worried about them not retaining heat, not giving as good a sear mark, food sticking, etc... none of those concerns have come to fruition. I love the SS grates.

SS flavorizer bars are a no-brainer in my opinion. There is no advantage at all to going PCI here, as they will also eventually fail. SS can almost always be scrubbed up to like-new.

Hey Gary,

I just got a EP-310 from Ace and am really liking the SS grates...I have had both in the past, and SS are much more low maintenance and will last forever. It takes a bit for them to warm up to temp but they give awesome grill marks! If you can get an EP edition you should go for it because not every store carries them....and you get the "special edition" label on the grill which is pretty cool..and Dave is right SS flavorizer bars are a no brainer...go for the EP!

I took your advice Tom and bought the EP model today. I can't fit it into my Wrangler, so they are going to deliver it next week. I can't wait until I can try it out. Fourth of July weekend is a great time to get a new grill
icon_smile.gif

How long does the leak checking take?

I use the side burner often for bacon or other things that I don't want to mess up the house with. It's nice not to really care about the grease or the smoke detector going off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
I use the side burner often for bacon or other things that I don't want to mess up the house with. It's nice not to really care about the grease or the smoke detector going off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, I do the same thing. Cooking bacon or frying anything I try to do it outside on the Genesis side burner so the house doesn't smell like a fast food restaurant for 3 days.

Thanks to everyone that recommended the Genesis with the stainless steel grate and flavorizer bars. I ended up with a 310 and Ace delivered this afternoon (free of charge), and we fired it up tonight and did a couple of strip steaks on it. It's one impressive gas grill and I am really glad that I got the EP model. This grill is going to get a lot of use. I love it!

Back