2007 Summit S-450 or S-650?

G

I have decided to purchase a 2007 Weber Summit. Because it is a new model, I have not been able to find much information about the grill, but I'm sure the quality will be good since it is a Weber. However, I can't decide between the S-450 (4 burner) or S-650 (6 burner). I know that the S-450 would be large enough if I was only interested in direct grilling. However, I like to indirectly cook rack of lamb, ribs, pork butts, briskets, etc. Will the 4 burner be large enough, or should I step up to the 6 burner?

I believe the general consensus here is the more cooking room the better, specially if you like to indirect cook on it.

I do think that you could cook indirect with out any problems on the 4 burner. I have the 6 burner summit and love it. The extra space gives you a lot flexibility for cooking a lot of different kinds of food at the same time. I have never regretted getting the bigger grill.

Good luck on the decision.

I think I'm going with the 450, probably because I don't anticipate the need for that additional space. I do recall someone, maybe Konrad, saying the 6 burner was a real "gas hog". Now if you can afford the 650, the cost of gas probably isn't a factor, but if you're using LP, it can become a convenience issue - how many tanks do you want to keep stored around ...
icon_smile.gif

Paul

My two cents is that I have decided on the S-650 primarily for size. Its too easy to fill my genesis Silver B. I more than once found myself cramming things in so tight that I have to wait for product shrinkage to start before everything on the grill gets 100% direct heat.

The other main idea for me is my current grilling/bbq game plan is to mimic Bullet cooks on this gasser. My lifestyle (and also my condo association) limit me to gas. Large indirect capacity and the smoker box are the closest thing to a Bullet.

As for the gas consumption issue, I feel that the differential isn't great enough to warrant going to the smaller box. I also keep 3 LP tanks in rotation so I have plenty of fuel. I live in an earthquake zone, and being prepared to live without natural gas, water, power, etc... is important. I understood the benefits of preparedness (moreso than ever) after Katrina. I went down there to help my parents clean up one week after...

so where can you find the best price for either unit. I am stuck between these too. I currenlty have a gril the size of the 650 however I was thinking about downsizing now that I use my performer and WSM more.

Hi Matt,

I just ordered the S650 myself....went through the same dilemma. I think I could've gotten by just fine with the 450, although we do entertain groups quite a bit. My final decision was made, really, by the extra room the 650 provides for indirect cooking, at which my wife and I would like to both become more adept...

There aren't any Weber dealers close to me (at least not one that shows up on Weber's dealer locator), so I ordered online. The lowest OVERALL price I could find was through www.shopperschoice.com Amazon will route you through them, as well. I highlighted "overall", because with the 650, they give you a Revco marinator free.

That I could find, only one site on the web could match SC.COM, (which was www.thenewconnection.com - I think) but they didn't include the marinator. One site had free shipping, one had a lower price on the grill - they netted the same (excluding the marinator).

I may or may not keep the marinator, but they retail on the web for $199.00 or so, so I would imagine I could put it on the 'Bay for somewhere close to that. That makes the overall price better than any other I found. I think the 450 comes with a set of stainless grill tools, if I'm not mistaken.

Shopper's Choice was backordered for a couple of weeks when I ordered mine. I just got an e-mail saying they should be in stock any day now, so if that holds true, you shouldn't have to wait if you go that route...

Take care!
Doug

EDIT: As Paul says below, these certainly aren't "discounted" prices I'm referencing, just the best online prices I was able to find at the time I ordered.

I would be surprised if you found discounted prices on the 450 and/or 650. I would think Amazon, through this site, would as as good as any. I plan on a 450 and think I'll go that way.

Whoops ... the above was being posted as I typed. Maybe you can get a better deal.

Paul

Just an update:

I just got another e-mail from shopper's choice saying that their new shipment inventory ran out before my order was filled. Weber's production date for their next order is 4/3, so I'm looking at several more weeks before my grill arrives. Not a problem for me, as it gives me a little breathing room to finish all of my backyard renovations before the grill goes in. But if quick shipment is something that's worth a few more bucks to you, another option might be better...

Doug

I just ordered a S-650 through this site's Amazon link, and the price was the same as shopperschoice (shoppers is throwing in a Revco marinator) w/free shipping on either. Buy.com has it for $108 less, with free shipping, but charges sales tax in my instance, which made Amazon the champeen!

Back