Coconut Rice Pudding

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
from Better Homes and Garden Mexican 2007

I served this for dessert after a family BBQ and everyone including me absolutely loved it:

2 C water
2 inches cinnamon stick
2 inche strip of lime peel 3/4" wide
1 C uncooked long grain white rice
1 qt milk
3/4 C sugar
1/4 tsp salt
4 egg yolks lightly beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 C shredded coconut
1 tbsp butter, cut up
ground cinnamon

Bring water to a boil, add cinnamon and lime peel. Simmer 5 minutes covered. Add rice, cook covered for about 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed.

Stir in milk sugar and salt. Simmer over medium low stirring frequently for 40 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, discard cinnamon stick and lime peel.

Combine egg yolks and vanilla in a bowl. Spoon some of the hot rice into vanilla mixture and stir briefly. Stir mixture back into rice mixture with 1 1/4 C shredded coconut.

Put pudding in 2 qt square baking dish. Top with remaining coconut and butter. Broil a couple minutes until the coconut is golden brown.

Serve warm with mango ice cream or fresh mango slices in cinnamon and sugar.

I've made this a couple more times now.

I don't bother broiling it, but I do sprinkle coconut I toasted in the fry pan on top.

Instead of a litre of milk I use about 1/4 - 1/3 litre of 10% cream , the rest milk ( light soya milk actually).

The best topping yet is this Mango Sorbet I found at Superstore.

Made this last night with a vanilla bean (thnxs Bryan), here are a couple pics:

Served with Mango Ice Cream:

Tried this recipe tonight. I apparently needed a bit higher heat during the 40 minute cook as it was still very loose after the yolks. I ended up baking for 20 min at 350F at the end to "custardize" it.

That aside, I love the flavors and agree that the mango compliments it well. My wife and kids dig it too. Will be making this again. Thanks for sharing it.

Trevor

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Trevor Wilson:
Tried this recipe tonight. I apparently needed a bit higher heat during the 40 minute cook as it was still very loose after the yolks. I ended up baking for 20 min at 350F at the end to "custardize" it.

That aside, I love the flavors and agree that the mango compliments it well. My wife and kids dig it too. Will be making this again. Thanks for sharing it.

Trevor </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Glad you liked it!

I had one batch turn out quite wet like you mentioned, not sure what happened to mine either, it could have been heat or mismeasure of rice or liquid or a little of each.

I'll suggest using the 40 minutes as a guideline, might go longer or shorter but cook it down to the final consistency you want before adding the yolks. The yolks will make it a bit runnier initially but residual heat should take care of it.

I had a much simpler rice pudding last night - it was just rice, sugar, salt, milk, & then raisins tossed in at the end. I came in after it was almost done but oh boy was it good. I'll be trying this too.

Back